Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Burn Time  (Read 10313 times)

Maxnchej

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
Burn Time
« on: November 18, 2014, 04:32:34 AM »

Hi All, I have a BL2840 and I have had it only running a week. I was wondering how long others who have BL are getting for burn times?

Last night it got down to 14, with wind chill around 8, so it is getting cold here. I loaded the stove around 5:15 last night and this morning the house was still warm but the air coming out of the vents was cool. I checked the stove at 5:30 (normal time) and I was out of wood, not a bad thing since you want to burn it down anyway and my temp was only 125. I had a good load in it last night and even added a few small chucks of wood and there was a large amount still in the box around 9 when I checked on it.

My house is 11 years old and I have 2x6 walls and r40 in the ceiling, house is about 2400 sq feet two story not including the basement and that is about 1300 sq feet but it is unfinished and we don't heat it much. I live out in the open and due get high north winds.

When it gets cold I'm I going to have to load it more then twice a day?

Should I add more wood and if so how high can you stack it? I was a little over the brick line last night when I added the wood, around a wheel barrow full.

Let me know your thoughts

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Burn Time
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:53:50 AM »

Add what you need to for a 12 hour burn, There is something that I do when installing that helps to protect the temp of the refractory when you do run out of wood, I use that same strap on Aqua stat Honeywell 6006C 1018 on the supply from the OWB to kill the blower when the temp drops due to no fuel , then in parallel I add a 60 minute timer that temporarily makes the connection until the temp comes back up above the Aqua stat set point, I could E-Mail you a schematic with part #s if you wish.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

sceptre74

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 04:57:49 AM »

I haven't installed mine yet slim. Could you email it to me as well?

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 05:06:30 AM »

Just sent it, you know how to contact me with questions and I would appreciate your feedback, the goal is to kill the blower once you run out of wood, this keeps the heat where it belongs, in the stove not pusing cold air into the firebox, robbing the heat from the cement and blowing it out the stack

BenGrove

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF3000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 05:25:21 AM »

:post:I don't own a portage but I'm having the same issue with my heatmaster. Could you send me this info as well slim?

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 05:32:37 AM »

I would be happy to, PM me your E-Mail and I'll send it that way as I haven't figured out photo bucket, perhaps one of you guys could post it!

Bud Man

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:51:34 PM »

Dang Slim! That is a good idea. I have been thinking about how I could keep my pumps running and get the blower to shut off if I have to be away for a few days.
You have my info so please send that to me.
Thanks again for the treatment and filter. P&M better take good care of you!
Livin' on a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 03:29:48 AM »

I see that Marty was able to post a picture this morning so I'm going to try and post the diagram this morning for those of you who are interested, Darn it won't go, I have had several requests for it so I'll try to get Marty to post it on this thread, Guys if you want it Please send me an E-Mail request and I'll send it right back, my E-Mail is mainlycustomsawing@yahoo.com
  The whole Idea is to interrupt the power wire to the blower/actuator and pass it through a Strap on Aqua Stat( I use a honeywell 6006C  1018 ) this gets placed on the supply line off the back of the boiler, use the R+W terminals (they make connection on temp rise) set the Aqua Stat at 160 degrees, this kills the blower below set point, now where you interrupted the power wire, attach 2 more wires to run over to a 60 minute timer ( I use the TORK A560MW ) this allows you to bypass the Aqua-Stat for 60 minutes while the fire is rekindling itself

jackh113

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »

Here you go everyone.  Schematic for the strap-on aquastat courtesy of slimjim.  Haven't done it yet myself but plan to in the very near future.  Thanks slimjim for all your help.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 03:43:44 AM »

WOW, Thanks Jack, that was a lot nicer one than I've been sending out Via E-Mail, how did you manage to post it? I don't think I even have it in my files any more :thumbup:

EE Farm Boy

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:06:33 PM »

I am in North Carolina but with the temps in the teens the last few nights, I am heating a new house and keeping the 36x50 at 50 degrees and the house at 75.  I load the 2840 at 10:00 PM as full as I can get.  I wake up around 6:30, no wood but the water temp is still 150 degrees so not bad.  I did the install that SlimJim suggested, once the temp get to 145 or so, the blower will cut off and quite blowing cold air into the fire box.  Turn the timer on and the fan comes on and I load it up once again.  My house is 12 years old, about 4000 square feet but my basement which makes it close 6000 sq ft stays warm due to the heat radiating from the pex so I am effectively heating all of that sq feet. 

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 03:29:48 AM »

So do you think the add on Aqua-Stat and timer are worthwhile?

Maxnchej

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: Bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 04:05:14 AM »

I plan on getting the parts to to be able to shut the fan down once I'm out of wood. Its a great idea and I'm surprised that it is not from the factor this way. Just makes a lot of sense. I know PM aren't the only boilers that would have the issue, but they are one of the best and you would think it would be an option to have install from the factor.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 04:07:23 AM »

I absolutely agree, Give Brian a call and let him know that, 800-561-0700

EE Farm Boy

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »

The timer is well worth it.  Last night it was not quite as cold so I loaded up the stove, but not brim full.  I slept in this morning till 8:30.  The house was still warm at the thermostat settings.  Outside, the water temp was at 120 degrees.  I turned the timer on and the fire started almost instantly.  There was plenty of coals in the bottom so it started right up.  Fill the stove with wood and off I went. 
Pages: [1] 2 3