Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: fast burn times  (Read 2168 times)

Curado

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
fast burn times
« on: February 04, 2015, 06:30:57 AM »

do you all notice that after you empty the ash pan that the next few days your burn times decrease?  I have noticed that I burn much more wood for 3-4 days after I empty the pan, but get much better burn times with a pan that is 1/2 to full with ash.  Is this normal or am I simply burning softer wood? 

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Re: fast burn times
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:50:56 AM »

I know the burning dynamic changes drastically after emptying the ash pan. When the ash pan is empty the channel allows the full brunt of the air to go all the way to the front of the stove. That is also where the first pass off the chimney is. I can see it forcing more air out the chimney until the pan fills up partially again. I've never really noticed a difference in my wood usage though.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

BenGrove

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF3000
    • View Profile
Re: fast burn times
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »

I was eating through wood b/c I was emptying the bin each time it got heavy.  Then I noticed I'd get a longer burn time if I kept more ash in there, more insulation from the cold or less air blowing in, I don't know, but my wood lasts way longer when it's real cold.
So when I empty the bin, I scrape out some of the ash and keep the bin more than half full.
If the bin gets too full, its hard for the air to blow on it, so I take out some of the ash every week or so.