Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Who makes the best gasification model? Buy now....or what?  (Read 5297 times)

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Who makes the best gasification model? Buy now....or what?
« on: December 19, 2016, 06:47:59 PM »

Got a 2015 Heatmor 400 DCSS, it does the trick heating 4500 sqft no problem. Very reliable and I have the ability to  burn all my rotten, punky, and odd shaped knots, burls and big pieces that are left over from processing good firewood that we sell year round.

But, my buddy just got a new G200 and my other good friend has a new PM 250. Both are awesome, their wood consumption is literally half of mine and are heating around the same square footage. Do I pull the trigger now and get one? Or do I wait for a possible even better design down the road? I definitely like the sound of less wood. I will eventually get one, that's not the question... it's When? And which model?

Who in your opinion makes the best gasification model to date???

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Who makes the best gasification model? Buy now....or what?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 08:32:46 PM »

I had time to get a conventional, instead went with a gasser, the wood savings are awesome.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 02:29:41 AM »

In my late mothers words, if Jonny jumps off a cliff, are you going to follow him? Personally I would run what you have until you are very sure of your next choice, unless of course you need to spend some money without good reason, if that's the case I will PM you my address. Seriously though, there are going to be some real improvements coming soon and if you can hold off, do your own research, you will be glad you did.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »

I have the P&M 250 and love it.  It's the only OWB I've owned so I have nothing to compare it to though.  I am in the same boat as you as I only burn all of the garbage that I can't sell from processing 130+ cords a year.  I have heard of guys with other units needing to use split pieces but I can say, no matter what size or shape I throw it there, it burns it up with no problem. 

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »

Slimjim..I forgot to mention  that the reason I would be even considering this is we mm are most likely moving and my current system will stay with this house.....as long as I stay here....I'll use this unit.

I definitely don't have  $$ to just spend recklessly

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »

What do you think your time frame will be? If i recall correctly you are from down in the mason dixon line area where a person could get away with the current heating system until spring and then cash in on a possible hot sale at a show in the spring,I'm not sure how other dealers handle things but when sales are slow in the spring and summer, we offer discounts to increase sales as well as work orders, when it is -8 degrees on the hill and wind is blowing at 30 mph like it was this AM you can bet I'm not offering the same deal that I do in June, I'm willing to do the work and want the sale but let's face it, I ran my bus at 1500 rpm last night in order to keep us comfortable while we babysat the new boiler overnight, that costs money that must be returned to the coffer in order to be there next year!
Our customer on this job certainly watches this forum, in fact this is the venue that he used to contact me, I certainly don't think he feels that he got taken advantage of and realizes exactly what I'm saying, if you read this Ed, Please do feel free to comment, I feel we provided a valuable service for a fair price in a difficult situation where our competition left the customer hanging, in June he would have gotten a better deal no doubt, I will return to that unit in the spring to do the first year cleaning and education, I would be willing to put money on the table that there will be donuts or cookies delivered to the Magic bus.
Ok, end of my rant, spend your money wisely the first time and you will not regret your decision, Heat Master and P+M are both great units, as there are other great units, buy for your reasons, not the sales guys reasons!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

FrozenMongrel

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »

I just did a bunch of research this fall as I was looking into what to purchase for a replacement to my old Shaver conventional that rusted out. I looked at a few different gassifier brands before deciding to go with the heatmaster G200. There are a lot of good boilers on the market right now, good competition is great for new developments. I love the simple accessibility to every part of the boiler that needs maintenance and how efficient it is. That along with the high quality construction and ease of use are what convinced me to go with the Heatmaster. SlimJim's great reputation and the fact that I live 10 min away from him did play a bit of a factor, but I would have gone with the Heatmaster regardless of what dealer I lived near. I'm sure with how far technology has come with wood boilers recently there will be even more improvements in the near future. 

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 03:32:17 AM »

Now or in the future? I am not running a gasser but others in my family are. I can see and hear the advantage. Customers constantly rave about the efficiency and ease of operation of the G series with all the latest upgrades. But when neighbors of customers call in amazement  of a wood stove that doesn't smoke it's special. There is no doubt in my mind EPA rule pushed this development, but will we see a lot of further upgrades at this point? What will the market support? Right now there are a number of rebates and incentives to participating dealers and if they are passed along can lower cost. This may not last as mfg. may at some point may want to recoup their r&d  costs. What can I say? If you are buying within year I think now is a good time but who knows for sure?
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

tinfoilhat2020

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 09:17:49 PM »

Thanks for the responses. I have also heard great things about the G series. My next move will be my last, or at least that's the hope.

Slim, I live in southeast michigan. Right outside Ann Arbor in a small town called Pinckney.