Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hawken Energy Owner  (Read 27996 times)

R W Ohio

• View Profile
Hawken Energy Owner
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:44:27 AM »

We have used our Hawken Energy for two heating seasons. Has worked very well for us so far. We have used 6 to 7 cords of wood each year to heat a 1500 s/f home with a full finished basement and dom. hot water also. Water is heated with a side arm that I built . Our nat. gas bills have been around $10.50 per month during the months that the OWB is in operation. Hoping that the ruling from the Ohio EPA dose not force us to shut it down and lose all the hard earned money that we spent to save on gas.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

jcappe

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Hawken Energy Owner
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »

Glad to hear you like the furnace!  Even if they change the laws for new furnace owners wouldn't you be exempt since you already had yours before the law change?  I guess they can probably pass what they want but I wouldn't think they could tell you to just quit using this $8-10,000 dollar furnace.
Woodmaster 4400
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter
Old Chainsaw that still runs real good!

charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »

read that the stove owner is not responsible. from what i get, they will have to let your burn what you bought. the company who sold you the stove is the end party to comply with any regs. you might have to comply to chimney height specs ,but you didn't build the stove. here in new york state we will see. i would say be a responsible wood burner and there won't be anyone to complain about your stove! respect your neighbor.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 07:57:33 PM by charlie »
woodmaster 434 since 2002, 612 gal. storage stss; super splitt;stihl ms360.

jcappe

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:30:36 AM »

I agree if your in an area that is close to other people you need to be responsible and take the measures to produce the least smoke etc.
Woodmaster 4400
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter
Old Chainsaw that still runs real good!

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:45:31 PM »

Well it's June 3rd. and I let the fire in the Hawken go out.Turned on the gas to the water heater and will clean out the stove over the weekend and get it ready for next fall. Now it's time to get started on the new wood shed so the wood storage will also be ready .
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.

hawken08

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »

Well i have just put a deposit on the new he-2100 hawken! I can't wait to watch a propane truck just drive by as i smile knowing my money is not going to the oil rich nations of the world. FREEDOM! I can't wait to start to save! I used 1600 gallons of propane last year @ 1.59 a gallon this years rates i have been quoted at 2.39-2.69 a gallon. This fall i will be adding some addtional insulation to my tri-level home in the thumb area of michigan to save even more.

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »

hawken08,

How is the new HE2100 install coming? And are there any others that are getting a new HE1100 or HE2100 on this site?

RW
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.

hawken08

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:52:38 AM »

R W ohio
  things went great. We just had the install last weekend and i could not be happier. Since my purchase I have sold 2 stoves for my dealer to co-workers that live in the same area. due to my sales pitch my local dealer gave me enough money to buy 5 face cord of seasoned hard wood for this winter. took about 2 hours to get up to temp but once it did i could hardly see any smoke. can't wait to watch that propane truck drive by this winter while i am warm on my couch watching the vest destory michigan again this year. Man i miss John Cooper!.

ouch

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »

I originally purchassed a GH built hawken two years ago. unfortunately last september I noticed some leaks in the back of the stove. getting the warranty honored was a nightmare, and took nearly 3 months. I was installing this new hawken 1100 in December. the two stoves are definately not interchangeable. the 1100 burns way too much wood, and the door leaks a black juice that builds up into icicles.  I have contacted my dealer, and Dave at hawken about these issues. I have also gotten in touch with another dissatisfied owner of an 100 just a few miles away. he has to load the stove 3 times a day. I found a design flaw with these stoves, and found a way to reduce the consumption considerably. I am very discouraged by the lack of customer service offered by Hawken, and poor crafstmanship in the furnace.  they claim to have cut out the middleman (global Hydronics) to save the customer money. They are selling inferior products and ignoring their customers.
oh, don't be supprised when the armor flex seal tight conduit breaks by the door, everyone I spoke to has this issue.

to make a long story short, don't waste your money on a Hawken.

Ouch!

hawken08

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 08:43:33 AM »

i have just recently noticed that mine is making some black sludge around the door gasket as well. could you share with me some of the flaws that you have discovered. I load mine twice a day and get a steady 12 hour burn time at all temps.

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 09:04:19 AM »

Oh My! :bag:

When it rains, it poors!  ::)

Well, at least I know I'm not crazy now!  :post:

Leaky  :-*

Tiny Tim

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »

the black juice is formed from the moisture content in the wood,  when i burn wood that has not been properly seasoned or wood that has not been covered and the rain/snow has soaked into it ,i notice the same thing, (I would suspect that it is caused by the door being about the coolest part of the firebox with the fan in the door and all. i remember reading something a while back on creosot on how it is formed when the moisture is cooled down.) Burn some properly seasoned wood and it will go away. I love my hawken 1100 and I get an average of a 12 hr burn time, I too would like to know some of the flaws, as  I stated in the buyer beware post I have had a he1000 and now i have the he1100 and to say that they are not interchangeable is misleading, It looks like all they did is move the controls over a little and put the aquastat in the back, the parts all look interchangeable to me. 

Tim

Tiny Tim

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 10:20:11 PM »

there is a post under the central page titled does your door drip, check it out it is just what i stated and it is not only hawken that has this problem when we burn wet wood. Just my two cents

Tim

Stihl man

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »

I have an he-1100 works alot better than my old central did.goes thru alot less wood, I get about a 12 hour burn time. I agree about the black stuff it is caused by the type of wood that you burn try a dry seasoned wood and it will go away. You will also get your stove up to temp alot faster. I have talked to dave at hawken quite a bit before i bought my 1100 Cant say nothing bad about dave he answered all my questions and returned all my calls promptly even after the sale.He helped me during the install by guideing me thru it over the phone, a few times he called me from his house on his own time (8pm)just to make sure things were going smooth with the install If you do your homework inside and out you can not beat a hawken SERVICE AND QUALITY.

MyLeakyWoodDoctor

• MyIcyLeggedWoodDoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »

I originally purchassed a GH built hawken two years ago. unfortunately last september I noticed some leaks in the back of the stove. getting the warranty honored was a nightmare, and took nearly 3 months. I was installing this new hawken 1100 in December. the two stoves are definately not interchangeable. the 1100 burns way too much wood, and the door leaks a black juice that builds up into icicles.  I have contacted my dealer, and Dave at hawken about these issues. I have also gotten in touch with another dissatisfied owner of an 100 just a few miles away. he has to load the stove 3 times a day. I found a design flaw with these stoves, and found a way to reduce the consumption considerably. I am very discouraged by the lack of customer service offered by Hawken, and poor crafstmanship in the furnace.  they claim to have cut out the middleman (global Hydronics) to save the customer money. They are selling inferior products and ignoring their customers.
oh, don't be supprised when the armor flex seal tight conduit breaks by the door, everyone I spoke to has this issue.

to make a long story short, don't waste your money on a Hawken.

So, how much did it cost you to get your warranty honnored??

Leaky  ???

Ouch!
Pages: [1] 2 3