Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Major insurance hurdle  (Read 2379 times)

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Major insurance hurdle
« on: April 28, 2014, 04:03:07 PM »

Talked to the insurance agent over the last few days regarding my build.  He contacted the underwriter, who said no way they would cover a home-made wood stove.  He kept cited UL listing and NFPA211 compliance to underwrite.  I kept trying to explain that it was not in the house, but out in the field behind the house, but I guess the underwriter is too deaf/dumb to understand the difference between a wood stove IN a house and an outdoor wood furnace AKA hydronic heater sitting 100 feet from the house.  I couldn't find anything in NFPA 211 that referenced outdoor wood burners, but I realize he's already set in his decision.  I also noted that it was not the primary, but a supplemental source of heat once it was finished.  The conversation ended with me letting them know that once I get it finished, I would be switching insurance companies to one that wants my business.  Personally, I think it's ridiculous.  I could understand if it was some hack-job that somebody was trying to put in their living room, but an outdoor wood furnace?  Gimme a break.  Just a head's up for any of you who may be building or planning to build one and currently have Kentucky Farm Bureau insurance for your carrier.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Major insurance hurdle
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 04:14:36 PM »

Most of my customers have farm burau her in ky

They are partners with empyre boilers or at least they were last year

Where u live.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Jd79

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »

Just outside Owensboro.  The hang-up is that I built it and it's not commercially made.  Time to shop for a new carrier!

ecc_33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »

I went through the same thing. My insurance was twice as much becuase of my wood boiler. My agent even knows what I have but she can't do anything about it. It sucks. It took two weeks to find someone to insure my construction loan.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 04:38:54 PM »

Ahhhh.....   They arent getting it through there heads how it operates or they'd gladly cover it
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 04:41:30 PM »

Ahhhh.....   They arent getting it through there heads how it operates or they'd gladly cover it

I think the same people that came up with Obamacare and did the website also set insurance regs.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

merrellroofing

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »

Farm bureau has been screwy around here lately. They sent me a cancellation notice with no reason for cancellation. They are canceling one of my buddies for  having a small wood stove in his garage that has been there for 18 yrs.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 07:35:36 PM »

It's almost impossible to get insurance around here if you want a woodstove in your house. The first question from my insurance company was are you going to put in a woodstove, I said no and he said GOOD!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »

It's almost impossible to get insurance around here if you want a woodstove in your house. The first question from my insurance company was are you going to put in a woodstove, I said no and he said GOOD!
thats pretty amazing..I guess it really depends on where or what part of the country you live in…Myself, parents , relatives,  neighbors, friends, even a general store, (thats 2 miles from me)…All have wood stoves in the house/store .All covered by insurance ..

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:48:06 PM by MattyNH »
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Hammersquash

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: 200 ProHS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 06:08:52 PM »

I had no problem getting either of my wood stoves on my policy.  In  Canada as long as you can get your stove WETT tested (Wood Energy Technology Transfer) certified its as easy as pie.  Only thing I needed to do in my shop for the convection stove is build a new frame for it to get the firebox a bit higher off the floor.

Stihl 362
Stihl 660 Magnum
Kubota BX25
New Holland L213
Fiskars X27
2012 F250 King Ranch 6.7 TD