Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Maxim 250 owners....  (Read 4911 times)

gmmaxim250

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Maxim 250
    • View Profile
Maxim 250 owners....
« on: November 08, 2014, 02:13:56 PM »

Hi all interested pellet burners, i have been running my maxim now for just over two years now...every day, all day...so far it has performed really well, especially once i extended the chimney to twelve feet...anything i should be on the lookout for? :)

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Maxim 250 owners....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:46:38 AM »

gmmaxim250 - I have an E-Classic 1400 Outdoor Wood Boiler by Central Boiler.  I know there will be a time when I'll be unable to handle firewood.  I've been keeping my eye on the CB Maxim's as a future replacement.  How do you do like you unit?  Is there any cleaning (weekly, monthly, etc...) during the heating season?  Do you have a large hopper attached to it or do you have to fill it everyday?  Thanks, Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 03:47:32 AM »

There was a post on here a while back regarding burn back into the hopper, I think it was caused by a power outage, a battery backup with inverter or automatic generator might be a good idea!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:10:03 AM »

One of the best thing my dad did a few years before he died was purchase and had installed a propane powered, auto start emergency generator.  It will power itself up if it senses the lost of power from the utility company.  It provides power to the house and the OWB.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

gmmaxim250

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 06:09:03 AM »

gmmaxim250 - I have an E-Classic 1400 Outdoor Wood Boiler by Central Boiler.  I know there will be a time when I'll be unable to handle firewood.  I've been keeping my eye on the CB Maxim's as a future replacement.  How do you do like you unit?  Is there any cleaning (weekly, monthly, etc...) during the heating season?  Do you have a large hopper attached to it or do you have to fill it everyday?  Thanks, Roger

Roger-I really like the unit, one of the reasons is because I didn't want to be handling wood in ten years.  it is like any solid fuel furnace, i check it every day.  it needs ashes removed every week during the burning season, and a heat exchanger cleaning every two or three weeks.  I try to break it down to clean everything at the beginning and the middle of the heating season...During the summer, it can creosote up a little, but when it starts burning hotter, it will take care of that.  I do have the bigger hopper, and that saves a lot of work, it is nice to load it only once or twice a month...depending on how cold it is...it was so cold last January,that I burned through a ton in a little more than ten days.  Fortunately, it usually runs two to three weeks on a ton of pellets from mid December to late march.  After that, it will begin stretch out.  I hope this helps answer some questions...

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 07:37:53 AM »

Roger-I really like the unit, one of the reasons is because I didn't want to be handling wood in ten years.  it is like any solid fuel furnace, i check it every day.  it needs ashes removed every week during the burning season, and a heat exchanger cleaning every two or three weeks.  I try to break it down to clean everything at the beginning and the middle of the heating season...During the summer, it can creosote up a little, but when it starts burning hotter, it will take care of that.  I do have the bigger hopper, and that saves a lot of work, it is nice to load it only once or twice a month...depending on how cold it is...it was so cold last January,that I burned through a ton in a little more than ten days.  Fortunately, it usually runs two to three weeks on a ton of pellets from mid December to late march.  After that, it will begin stretch out.  I hope this helps answer some questions...

Hello gmmaxim
What is the cost of a ton of pellets roughly ?
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

gmmaxim250

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »

Hello gmmaxim
What is the cost of a ton of pellets roughly ?
[/quote

I am paying 255 a ton...not bad,limited options around here...there are very few places that could keep me stocked with enough pellets...

Jcl

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »

There was a post on here a while back regarding burn back into the hopper, I think it was caused by a power outage, a battery backup with inverter or automatic generator might be a good idea!

They add  a door  now to prevent that comes with new stoves and can be added to older ones
wood doctor He5000
Block buster wood processior
Jd 855 backhoe

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 02:41:31 AM »

Thanks Jcl, I was wondering how they stopped that, I have very little experience with their pellet burner, I replaced one just outside Taunton, Mass with our chip burner and that was one of the customers concerns.
 Do you have any pictures of how they added it?

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 03:39:09 AM »

Do you guys buy your pellets by the bag or in bulk?  Is there a price reduction purchasing in bulk?  Also, does anyone know if CB offers a hopper large enough to handle a winter's supply of pellets where one would not have to refill every couple of weeks to a month?  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

gmmaxim250

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »

Roger-
Central Boiler, as far as I know, doesn't offer a bigger hopper.  But they do sell longer augers, so you could use a feed silo to purchase in bulk and feed into the furnace.  Most feed silos are weather proof, so it would be okay to use for pellets.  Pellets don't like moisture... In NNY, where I am located, bulk delivery means pallets, not loose bulk.  The local mill doesn't have the bulk option.  I am not sure if I could find another around here.  I think in New England that bulk delivery is available, i am not sure on this.  I do get some savings because am I am one of their biggest retail customers, but it isn't a huge savings.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:10:51 PM by gmmaxim250 »

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 02:18:38 AM »

Sizing of the hopper as well has something to do with pellet quality, to much vertical weight on the pellets and as they feed, the pellets break up into dust and won't burn well, Maine Energy AKA Les Otten went through this with his pellet boilers.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 03:40:35 AM »

Slimjim, that makes sense regarding the weight of the pellets.  Can you tell me more about the chip burner?  I'm wonder if that's alternative to pellets?  Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 04:28:55 AM »

It would be a bit overkill for you Roger, It's designed for light commercial space, 6000-15000 square feet, although the one Dan and I did last spring in northern Florida spent all summer heating just the hot water for 3 domestic hot water tanks, now it's heating the Ranch house, guest house and wave pool :thumbup: