Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Extra hot water??  (Read 4492 times)

jon d

• View Profile
Extra hot water??
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »

Wondering if anyone has added extra hot water storage to their hot potable water. I have a CB 5036, two furnaces, two water heaters. Thinking of adding a storage tank(50gl with heat exchenger) feeding my 40 gl. water heater(that's already has 6-flatplate exchanger). I am want to add more storage to keep the Propane from coming on..Any Ideals welcome!! thanks!!!    jon
jon d
Hawesville, Kentucky
Central boiler 5036 installed in 09

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Extra hot water??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:02:34 AM »

Jon, I have a 12 inch pipe with a 50 foot coil of 1/2 inch copper coiled inside it for my heat exchanger, It sits beside my electric hot water heater and it is low enough that the water siphons continuously as it is heated. the coil is hooked to the heater drain  and then out the top and tees into the hot water outlet of the heater

my furnace water circulates around the 50 foot coil. When i light my OWB in the fall i turn the electricity off for my electric water heater, as long as there is wood in the OWB i have hot water

I dont use a tempering valve on my heater (you should if you have children) so my water temp fluctuates a bit as the furnace cools or heats during it's cycle

the hot water tank stays full of hot water due to the siphoning action even when no water is being called for
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada