Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Electric generation?  (Read 15200 times)

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: Electric generation?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »

Check this out thermal electric generator home made
Thats neat!
Yeah but unfortunately you will never get a usable amount of power off that. The amount of power he was generating, he would needs hundreds of them to get close to what a AA battery will put out.

I wonder if the length or size of wire has anything to do with how much power you get from this? Also the hotter temp inside the stack as apposed to the temp outside of it on a cold day?................ just wondering
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 08:32:44 AM »

correct me if i am wrong but i think he's looking to power his house with his boiler even when the power isnt out. I don't know a way but a local flooring mill has a huge boiler type aparatus that generates electricity back to the electric company in town when the mill is closed as they only run 1 shift. It does not provide enough while they are in operation but it helps a lot to have it. They just burn the cut off that run off a floor type conveyer system that feeds this "boiler". Pretty neat i thought

Well, I was not really looking to power my house full time, I was thinking when the power was out only, but hey, if it works well, why not.  I was looking for something off the boiler though.  I know I can buy a generator, but then I need fuel for it.  I already have the boiler.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 08:47:52 AM »

Check out this website.  This is very interesting and now you have me thinking....lol

These guys even mention creating electricity by using an outdoor wood boiler.  Here you go. http://www.tegpower.com/

I had checked them out awhile ago.  Did you see the price tag at the bottom.. wow.  Almost 2K for 200 Watts.  something tells me that isn't going to pay off.  It is really cool though and would certainly work great.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »

Check out this website.  This is very interesting and now you have me thinking....lol

These guys even mention creating electricity by using an outdoor wood boiler.  Here you go. http://www.tegpower.com/

I had checked them out awhile ago.  Did you see the price tag at the bottom.. wow.  Almost 2K for 200 Watts.  something tells me that isn't going to pay off.  It is really cool though and would certainly work great.
And did you see you would only get about 20% of the 200 watts on an owb? So it is about $4000 for 40 watts. You could buy a lot of solar panels and batteries for that.

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »

I was wondering about gasifaciation from a gasser to run a generator?

Maybe combine this idea with the wood gas engine brought up and other threads and power a generator, I think my have to be a non-gasser however.  As for the other ideas what I remeber from thermodynamics is that steam would be required to generate much power.  (more enthalpy between the hot and cold sinks)
North Central Ohio

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »

And did you see you would only get about 20% of the 200 watts on an owb? So it is about $4000 for 40 watts. You could buy a lot of solar panels and batteries for that.
I posted this from my phone and apparently hit the wrong button. I meant to say $2000 for 40 watts.

AirForcePOL

• OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 07:28:29 AM »

Yeah, it wouldn't be worth the cost.  But, atleast we know it's possible now. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »

I was wondering about gasifaciation from a gasser to run a generator?

I saw this done on youtube....pretty cool.
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

tbone

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »

Figures...now I can't find it.  But as I recall the guy used a small gasser with a filtration system piped directly to the carburetor of a small generator.  If you could do this with an OWB gasser...maybe you could run a large "stand by" generator and power your entire house with it?
Stihl 460
Stihl pro 360
Honda 27 ton splitter
Ford 350 with hoist

Jeff

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Z Supply
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 10:46:26 PM »

I have been deeply interested in generating electricity from heat for some time. As you guys have already discovered TEGs are far too expensive for the output. Do a google for "Organic Rankine Cycle" this has the most promise right now. The problem is in the expander, but this will happen in the next few years.

Jeff

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 10:44:15 AM »

This ORC looks very intriguing.  I found a site:

http://www.infinityturbine.com/

That seems to sell what you would be needed to build one of these.  I have emailed them about it.  I'll let you kow what they say.  The parts seem pretty simple.  Basically the same technology that's inside a heat pump with a turbine stuck in the middle.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »

That seems to sell what you would be needed to build one of these.  I have emailed them about it.  I'll let you kow what they say.  The parts seem pretty simple.  Basically the same technology that's inside a heat pump with a turbine stuck in the middle.
Not cheap either. I got the price list from them a couple weeks ago.

The IT03 (600w to 3000w) is $20,000

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 08:49:02 AM »

Alas the price tag is pretty high, but the undermining factor is they have terrible efficency.  They only get 10% so you would have to dump 200K-400K BTUs into it to get anything useful out.  Very sad.  Gotta find something else I guess!

Jeff

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
    • Z Supply
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »

Yes, the overall efficiency is about 10%. There is loss at the HX, at the expander, and at the generator, it mounts up. Plus parasitic loss at the working fluid pump and perhaps elsewhere. I don't think Infinity has a recoup which uses the exhaust of the expander to preheat the working fluid before it enters the heat exchanger. That helps a bit.

If it were not a tough nut to crack they would be everywhere.

Jeff

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »

Alas the price tag is pretty high, but the undermining factor is they have terrible efficency.  They only get 10% so you would have to dump 200K-400K BTUs into it to get anything useful out.  Very sad.  Gotta find something else I guess!
If you were heating a pool it would work out very well because the other 90% would go to the pool and it wouldn't waste much at all.

They do sell just the turbine for $3000 but I am guessing you will have just as much in the setup if you put it together yourself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3