Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Things you wish you'd done differently??  (Read 6701 times)

XJCraver

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: CWP 250
    • View Profile
Things you wish you'd done differently??
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:29:24 PM »

Well, we ended up buying an Empyre CWP 250.  I liked the stove and the reviews, no EPA regs in my part of IL yet (and I didn't want a gasser), and the deal was better than I could get on anything local (thanks Scott!).  I'm going to do the install myself, with some drafted help from a couple buddies who owe me favors. :-)

So now that it's on it's way, I thought I'd throw this out here and see what you guys wish you'd done differently (or not) when you installed your stoves.  Any tips, tricks, suggestions, or things you wish someone had told you before you did yours?  From setting the stove itself to the plumbing hook-ups, tools, accessories, additives, etc. - everything is "fair game" for advice here!

In this case, it'll be a "standard" forced air installation - HE in the plenum, 20 plate for DHW.  I bought 5-wrap line to bury, and all my fittings/valves are brass.  Tying into copper plumbing in the cellar.  All we're doing now is the house - I have plans to add another loop from the stove to the shop next year, but I have to get it insulated first...

So anyway, just curious what the suggestions / guidelines are.  I know this thread'll help me, and I'm hoping other "newbies" can refer back here later if/when they have questions.  Thanks in advance for the info.!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:31:11 PM by XJCraver »

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Things you wish you'd done differently??
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »

i wish i had put my underground line in a bigger tile...just so i could pull it if i needed to, and what the heck another chance to keep it dry can't hurt...can it?

and if possable, perhaps a drain tile under the OWB lines (if you got an outlet for it)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

XJCraver

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:22:58 PM »

See, now that's something I'm really struggling with.  Do I go ahead and spend a little extra now and put them in a tile (for the reasons you listed), or just quit spending money and bury the things?  I can't decide.

I'd say I'm leaning towards the extra tile right now, and will probably go ahead with it unless someone talks me out of it.  I know nothing "should" ever happen to the pex, and it'll save me some coin, but it'd sure be a bunch easier to re-do them if I ever had to.....

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »

Yea... An extra tile is just like added insurance...

2 tiles would have to fail vs one, it's no telling how long that would last fixed like that, likely longer than you or me lol

The 5 wrap you bought is good stuff.

In a 500 ft loop test, flowing 180 water at 5gpm, it lost 3.1 degrees.  That's great
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:28:16 PM »

If you an outer tile it will likely have to be 7-8" in diameter to make it possible to pull it through
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »

oh ya...if iwas putting in new lines again with my 500 foot loop i would have gone 1.25 pex. i dont have any problem heating everhtyhing now but less friction i could downsize my pump ..this dam stuff you put under the ground is (i think) is what will make or brake your OWB experience go big..go best and go once.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

XJCraver

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 10:16:35 PM »

I can get 8" non-perforated tile from my local lumber yard pretty cheap, I think I'll use that.  I just really think I'll be kicking myself when it's all said and done if I don't!

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:35:27 PM »

I can get 8" non-perforated tile from my local lumber yard pretty cheap, I think I'll use that.  I just really think I'll be kicking myself when it's all said and done if I don't!

Yep, nothing wrong with taking sn extra step, it will also make the pex even more efficient as there will be no damp soil ever touching the outside of it's tile....

Also, make sure you bring the outer tile up under the stove where it can never get water in it, and extend it into the cellar as well, they have to start and stop in the dry
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 05:10:34 AM »

The only thing I wish I had done different was install my stove 10 years ago!!

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 05:11:30 AM »

What happens if it does get a little water or moisture in it ?

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 05:48:32 AM »

This looks like it will be a thread for newbies to follow for sure. What's keeping mice and their larger friends out of the larger tile? Don't need to give them a nice warm home too!

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 06:05:22 AM »

Well, we ended up buying an Empyre CWP 250.  I liked the stove and the reviews, no EPA regs in my part of IL yet (and I didn't want a gasser), and the deal was better than I could get on anything local (thanks Scott!).  I'm going to do the install myself, with some drafted help from a couple buddies who owe me favors. :-)

So now that it's on it's way, I thought I'd throw this out here and see what you guys wish you'd done differently (or not) when you installed your stoves.  Any tips, tricks, suggestions, or things you wish someone had told you before you did yours?  From setting the stove itself to the plumbing hook-ups, tools, accessories, additives, etc. - everything is "fair game" for advice here!

In this case, it'll be a "standard" forced air installation - HE in the plenum, 20 plate for DHW.  I bought 5-wrap line to bury, and all my fittings/valves are brass.  Tying into copper plumbing in the cellar.  All we're doing now is the house - I have plans to add another loop from the stove to the shop next year, but I have to get it insulated first...

So anyway, just curious what the suggestions / guidelines are.  I know this thread'll help me, and I'm hoping other "newbies" can refer back here later if/when they have questions.  Thanks in advance for the info.!
I did this in my hook up make shure you plum in a filler line in your house with a good ball valve.....that way you can fill system from house not running a long hose out to your boiler.....my system is pressurized so now it has a auto filler hooked up there as well..........I would hook up also hook up good shut off valves with bleeders just incase you need to bleed system.......I would also run pvc pipe bigger than your lines so you can help protect your lines and you can slide it out if you ever have to.......
kelly
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

XJCraver

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 06:30:37 AM »

BaldwinRacing - Good idea with the valves / bleeders.  I bought extra, to make sure I've got a valve everywhere there could ever possibly be a need for one.  I'm re-plumbing part of the house with this install, and bought plenty of valves for that too.

I've remodeled WAY too many houses that didn't have enough places to shut off the water - I hate that!!

oldchenowth

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 09:28:12 AM »

I like the extra tile thought.  I would have buried mine a little deeper, I went 24" because of tree roots got tired of digging and chopping.  I DID put ball valves at every HX, water heater, both sides of the pump.  I have since replaced all my "shark bite" style fittings with crimp pex.  WOW, what a difference that made.  In the spring when the water cooled down I got a leak at the fitting, not anymore.  I wish I had semi enclosed the OWB just to keep the snow and rain off me when I load it, or train the wife to load it would have been even better.  Save the beer until AFTER it is all hooked up, drafted help is not always as attentive with alchohol in 'em.  I wish I had done that different too.

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »

Orient the unit so the north winds blow into it when you open the door to load.  Helps to keep a lot of smoke out of your face. 
Pages: [1] 2