Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: return line/cast iron radiator/out building question  (Read 1607 times)

xjeff1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
return line/cast iron radiator/out building question
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:06:15 AM »

Hi,
Well, I'm newer than new with this stuff as my stove is not yet in! But heres my situation, I am getting a heatmaster 5000E to heat a 1800sq ft 114 year old farm house. The stove will be 220' from the house. I have a 18'X15' little one room back house in between the stove and the house. The back house is about 120' from the stove. I would like to stub off the return line to run through an old cast iron radiator just to get some "free" heat into the back house. The trench runs right next to the back house so it would be a short stub off the main pipe. I would be using 5 wrap 1" nb pex.
My question is, as this is taking temp out of my return, how much will this effect my temp recovery? My main goal is to heat our home so my family can be comfortable but it would be nice to be able to get heat to this place with out getting a second pump and 120' of pipe to make a second loop from the stove.
Thanks again for your time,
Jeff

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: return line/cast iron radiator/out building question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:12:22 AM »

Not a problem to do but I would be careful regarding return water temps to the boiler, temp gauges will tell you a lot.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 07:21:23 AM »

It's all possible, using a close t with a small pump on that small loop would likely be a big improvement and keep flow up when the room wasn't calling for heat
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

xjeff1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 12:52:56 PM »

Thanks guys, the room wouldn't have a thermostat or anything, I figured I would just regulate it with the valve on
the radiator or a ball valve. It's kind of a man cave right now, I do music stuff out there. I live in Michigan so if I could get some heat in there I could put out more equipment. The loop would be very short, probably under 10 feet.
I'm guessing the safe route would be not to mess with the return from the house and do another loop.
Thanks again,
Jeff

xjeff1

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »

Thanks again for your time. I think I found a different place for the stove between the two buildings. I should get a lot less  heat loss there. We'll see how that
works out.
Thanks again,
Jeff