Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Central Boiler vs Aqua-therm vs wood master what to buy  (Read 15211 times)

Bobbo

• OWF Brand: Need one
  • OWF Model: None yet
    • View Profile
Central Boiler vs Aqua-therm vs wood master what to buy
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »

Ok I am looking for advice I have talked to a bunch of owners and dealers but everyone says there's is the best and has good reason to back it up and why not to buy the other brand
I am looking at three used boilers central boiler E2300, a aqua therm 345, and a Wood master 5648
I know the differences between the pressurized and non and I would have to run heat exchangers with the non pressurized but I have a few concerns that I have heard through rumor milks.
1.  I was told by a dealer to stay away from the E2300 that they were junk and he had to replace 50% under warranty
2.  I hear that the SS aqua therms are prone to cracks
3.  I have been told that using the aqua therm to try and heat 2 buildings I will need a storage tank or it will not be able to happily ghetto volume of hot water required
4.  I have heard that the old wood master 5648 is fool proof but will eat wood faster then you can cut it

Any opinions out there?  What should I buy?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Central Boiler vs Aqua-therm vs wood master what to buy
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »

My suggestion is to at least look at new technology, educate yourself, this is a great place to start!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

baldwin racing

• OWF Brand: Thermo-Control (indoor)
  • OWF Model: 500/2000 (in the insulated jacket)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 06:28:46 PM »

My suggestion is to at least look at new technology, educate yourself, this is a great place to start!

I agree with slim, Go look at all three your self....and see how the are built.... see what you like ,dislike and how all three companies treat you.....are they bsing or telling the truth just to sell you on it...but also look into the new stuff see what the changes are(improvements) over there older boilers.....they made changes for a reason....either to help with efficiency or to solve problems they had in the past....or had to go epa approved.....then when your all done see what best fits you and what best fits your wallet....don't go with the cheapest because its cheep type of deal...see what one will save you in the long run.....good luck and let us know what you decide....

Kelly
husqvarna 357 xp
allis-chalmers 5050 2,100 org hrs
farmall m (set up for just tractor pulling)
farmall H

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:51:09 PM »

Well your best bet is the old style boiler.Less maintenance etc etc, Aqua-Therm owner here. 7 years owning one..Never had a crack problem..Know 6 other people that own them..never a crack problem….But you are buying used..Who really know the real condition on all 3 stoves..Its the chance you take…Its  a lot cheaper than buying bran new.. Like Slim said you can check into the news ones.. Buy what your gut and or wallet tells you..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:54:47 PM by MattyNH »
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »

Whatever you did go with a round firebox. I would never buy a square firebox stove especially with the ripples on the top. Great spot for corrosion trap.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 05:25:42 AM »

We have a round firebox but I have never seen the ripple top on our competitions boilers become a problem, I think that is a myth created by competition and I will have no part in adding to it, the biggest reason for rounded fireboxes is less welds and added strength period.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 06:25:01 AM »

My uncle just had a leak on the ripple top of his cozy burn 250. Dealer had a welder fix it and they said there was alot of mineral build up in the grooves causing the corrosion. You couldn't give me a square firebox stove for free.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »

I don't think the square firebox increases corrosion chances but a square water jacket almost surely would. Slim is correct that round has less welds ( which is where most problems are) and is stronger over the long term as the metal heats and cools. Are there really that many brands that still use the square design?
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »

Yea the round fireboxes are good but the ripple top and square boxes work well too.  It has nothing to do with corrosion and is an industry myth or forum paradigm.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Bobbo

• OWF Brand: Need one
  • OWF Model: None yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »

Well your best bet is the old style boiler.Less maintenance etc etc, Aqua-Therm owner here. 7 years owning one..Never had a crack problem..Know 6 other people that own them..never a crack problem….But you are buying used..Who really know the real condition on all 3 stoves..Its the chance you take…Its  a lot cheaper than buying bran new.. Like Slim said you can check into the news ones.. Buy what your gut and or wallet tells you..

Just looked at the used 345 today looks like a real nice and simple unit just got to come to an agreement on price.
Thanks

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »

Just looked at the used 345 today looks like a real nice and simple unit just got to come to an agreement on price.
Thanks
The Aqua-Therms are a simple unit..A friend of mine has the 345..Good luck on the price agreement..Keep us informed about your decision!
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

f150bft

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
  • "Never argue with a fool" in North East Tennessee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »

All this talk about square fire boxes being a bad thing is not so much true. I have a Hardy (stainless steel square box) that was built in 1996 and I have not had any trouble with it so far. This is my first year with it and it sat for about 3 years not being used before I got it. I can put a lot of wood in it but I have figured out that I don't have to. You can get a bad stove in any brand and I am sure most all would agree to that. When buying used....the price has to be worth the gamble of something might be wrong with it which would cause the previous owner to want to sell. A small investment in a used stove can be well worth it. You can then decide if this is the route you want to take in heating your house/shop or whatever. I figured that I would try this used Hardy out and see how things go. I had thought that if it didn't work out I could sell the damn thing for scrap metal and get most of my money back and call it a lesson learned. So far my power bill has gone from $200 a month to $79 a month and I like it. I don't live in the super cold areas as most of the ones on here do. I live in the North East Tennessee area. We get some single digits during the winters but just a few of them. As it is right now, I believe that if my Hardy craps out tomorrow that I will buy another stove in a heartbeat. May not be a Hardy, but it just as well could be too. So figure out what you want in a stove and just buy the damn thing. You most likely will not regret it. Ask your questions and learn as I did. Some on here are very biased and some don't care what you buy as long as it works for you and your needs. This is of course just my thoughts and opinions. Best of luck in your decision.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:59:23 PM by khawkins »
Husqvarna Rancher 460
Homelite Super XL
1992 F150
1970 Wheel Horse Raider 12
1966 Wheel Horse Lawn Ranger
2009 Harley-Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic
N.E. Tennessee

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 04:50:54 AM »

Very well said Khawkins