Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: burning coal in OWB  (Read 10322 times)

chugbug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
burning coal in OWB
« on: May 21, 2008, 06:32:21 AM »

I was hoping for some input on the Mahoning OWB , maybe no owners here what about other guys you know ?? Also anyone burning coal ? I'm in coal country so I thought that would be a good option if I ran out of wood . Was wondering how well they do burning coal . :-\

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: burning coal in OWB
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »

unless your  stove  comes with  operating instructions saying burning coal is ok....it  not  likley is
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

chugbug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:16:50 PM »

Willie , Thanks for the reply , I got a chance to talk to a Mahoning dealer today and he said the Mahoning was made to burn coal or wood as the firebox could handle the extra heat from coal because of the thick 1/4'' steel , but didn't think the Hardy would last burning coal , probably  because the stainless would be affected by it or because it wouldn't handle the higher heat .

overrunwithsons

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »

I am thinking about getting a Hardy, they can burn coal, they have the Coal option, some say it is not needed though, I have met and seen (2) Hardy from Private owners  that use Coal with Wood, and talked to one dealer telling me he knows a man who ONLY burns coal in his.   And the dealer uses half and half, so he says.    It has the ash pan also, unlike some Outdoor Boilers on the market.   

Hank

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »

I have a Hardy H-2, I have burned wood and coal in mine. I did not buy the shaker grate for coal, big mistake!! My dealer said that I did not need it as long as I used wood and coal together. It works, but it creates a little extra work. You have to stir the coals and about once a month let the fire get low so you can remove the rocks and such that do not burn. A shaker grate does this for you.. Hank

Husky455

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »

I have a Crown Royal stove.  Have not burned coal but it will do it jsut fine.  Know those eho do it.

http://www.crownroyalstoves.com/

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 02:47:11 PM »

I have a Hardy H-2 and use about 2 "scoop shovels" of coal with a load of wood.  It works well with the wood and I am able to increase the burn time with it.  The quality of the coal doesn't matter so much, but the better the coal, the less work you will do with it.  Lesser grade coal leaves more clinkers, but is worth it overall.  There is a lot of smoke when it first burns, but after it burns once, there is almost no smoke.