Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Heatmor vs Portage & Main efficiency?  (Read 15673 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Heatmor vs Portage & Main efficiency?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 04:04:38 AM »

Certainly mention it to the dealer, perhaps we can get him to come on here as well, the deal is from corporate and will need to be mentioned to Brian when your dealer orders your stove
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

TheBoiler

• OWF Brand: Garn
  • OWF Model: WHS2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 09:18:20 AM »

If you are concerned about efficiency then neither.

They are traditional OWB's which have the added option of burning coal.

No, not exactly

Not even close really.

The p and m bl is a brick lines series that has no water in the lower part of stove,  it burns hotter and cleaner than the heat mor

It also features a heat exchanger in the top of the unit that really allows the stove to capture more heat, stack temps are way lower on those models with additional heat exchange than those that dont

As I understand  it he is looking at the Ultimizer, and that the more efficient P&M Boiler is the Optimizer.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »

Yea but that don't mean "it's just another conventional boiler" there is a lot of things that make it and other models far more efficient than your traditional run of the mill central or hardy conventionals
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

TheBoiler

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 03:46:32 PM »

It is a real shame there are not credible methods of measuring these things available in the US, the Germans can do it.

So essentially they are both relatively inefficient, one slightly less so than the other, still begs the question if efficiency is a significant factor in your choice why you would be looking at either?

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 03:57:24 PM »

Perhaps the prospect cant afford a gasser installed inside their home with a water storage tank and added chimney but still chooses to burn wood instead of oil

TheBoiler

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 04:26:14 PM »

Sounds like the other thread where the guy want low emissions but not a Gassifier.

Otherwise known as having your cake and eating it.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 04:44:14 PM »

It goes like this based off what I've read on other forums and the videos I've seen on YouTube, if you have a problem with smoke or you have a neighbor who may have a problem you better get a gassifier if you live in the country you have more options everyone just has to be smart about what they burn and don't smoke out the neighbor haha. I hate seeing those videos on YouTube of someone bashing owb's saying they are getting smoked out a mile away, that's not seasoned wood burning I'd bet!
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

TheBoiler

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 05:05:23 PM »

Ease and price of wood.

Lamont

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »

About choosing a traditional OWB - cost is a major factor and my nearest neighbor is about 3/8 of a mile away.  I just can't justify a gasser and really like the option of burning green wood mixed with seasoned if my supply gets low. 

I've looked at some indoor units, but as a firefighter, I cannot put a wood fire in my house or another building.  I know I'll catch hell about my propane furnace, gas stove, and water heater being fire in the house, but in northeast WI we ran steady this year putting out fires that started from wood fires - not that they were necessarily all equipment failure, but some were.  Million ways to start a house fire, but if I can reduce just one way, that's better than none.

Also, I need something that will heat my detached shop with in-floor tubes about 60' from the house so I'll put the boiler in the backyard between the two buildings.  I want something I can back up to and stack near the boiler and if it were ever to catch fire, I shut it down and use propane for the time being. 

About efficiency, there are many more efficient options and most are from fossil fuels.  But, I don't exactly have propane readily available on my land by the house and my hunting land a few miles away.  If I were concerned about efficiency alone, I'd go with a tankless propane boiler, but then I would end up with an old school wood stove in my shop and the possibility of fire there (and short of my wife and little boy, those are probably some of my most prized possessions...).

I've made the decision on a traditional OWB, good or bad, agree or disagree, but was simply looking for info on efficiency since warranties are almost identical, price is within a couple hundred bucks, and both are reputable, long term companies.  Burning two or three cord a year less might end up being the deciding factor if all other factors are equal. 

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2014, 08:53:20 PM »

Sounds like you've weighed your options and that's the most important thing but you should maybe ask slim about burning green wood in the portage and main not sure how the heat exchanger will take to that but he would probably know, the heatmor might have an easier time due to the straight through design but again ask some experts cause I am no expert, not yet lol
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

Lamont

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 09:09:28 PM »

Thanks for the heads up.  I really don't plan on burning green wood at all, but in a pinch, a guy has to heat the house right?  I won't ever burn straight green wood, it would instead be added with like 3/4 seasoned and 1/4 green, but if we have another year like this and I don't have time to cut wood because I'm building the house, who know how much I'll have stocked up.  I have about 20 cord waiting patiently for a house to heat.  Just a little concerned after this winter... 

Jwood

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 09:19:24 PM »

I hear ya I don't think you can go wrong with either brand there are sure a lot of happy heatmor owners around my area lots that are over 10-20years old so they can't be to bad :thumbup:
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27

diesel-dodge

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: heatmore 200 ss
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »

I agree with you 100 lamont. Im looking for the same thing. Like this year we had a really bad winter and I had to burn green wood. I can now burn dead standing ash but the option to burn green is a big contributor. I have heard gasifiers burn half the wood but it also takes a lot more time to split the wood small to get proper season and burn. Im trying mybest to get educated and see what is the best so maybe I can have my cake and eat it to if it works out that way.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 04:55:05 PM »

I find the best fuel for the P+M 250 is a mix of different sized woods as well as a variety of species, sizing should be anything over 8 inches through should be split at least once, higher moisture wood should be burned only when there is a good steady load on the boiler

TheBoiler

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »

A friend of mine with a CB2300 uses wood that is pretty green, but it is at full blast most of the time.

I did see a Garn a few years back, new install, a Christian Camp, they had not sourced there wood and were chopping and feeding. The only comment was that they were going through a lot more wood than they expected. Wonder why.

The other option of course is to build a small building where you want it and put whatever you want in there. Make it out of non flammable materials.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4