Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: If you could do it all over agian, which boiler would you get?  (Read 15691 times)

jepcked@msn.com

• View Profile

I am looking at the shaver 250 and the wood doctor 8000 also wood doctor gassification boiler HE5000. Does anybody have any of these and are you happy with them.  Any pros or cons?  Also if you could do it all over agian would you buy the boiler you have or would you have gone with another company?
thanks.

hawken08

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: If you could do it all over agian, which boiler would you get?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »

Stay far away from wood doctor! They are a global hydronics stove, Many many issue with them. research this site under hawken and global. The new hawken stoves seem to be fine, i have one and it has been flawless. If i had to do it over again, hmmmmm I think i would give geo themarel a try with the current tax credits its almost a non brainer.

Dirtslinger

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 03:35:40 PM »

I would get one with an ash pan
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 04:11:03 PM »

I would probably build my own

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 03:03:45 PM »

I am building mine as I want to incorporate features from different manufacturers and some of my own ideas. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »

im with jackel..build my own (again)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 05:36:49 AM »

I would make sure you buy a stainless furnace ( preferably made from 409) and one with an real removable ash pan. I ofcource recommend the brand I sell, Heat Master, but I am sure there are others who also make a quality product. Also no matter what brand you buy, look into the warranty offered and what type of water treatment and water testing is offered by the manufacture. The proper water treatment program will add many years to the life of your furnace, think of it as the same as changing oil in your call.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Guru

• View Profile
    • Mike's Advanced Heating
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 05:34:10 AM »

If you are looking at a Shaver 250, you may want to compare it to the Nature's Comfort NCB-250.  The NCB-250 has a nice sized ash pan and a big well insulated fire box door.
Mike
Nature's Comfort Territory Manager
Caro MI
http://www.mikesadvancedheating.com/

603doug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:35:43 PM »

I have the wood doctor 10000 and it has run 24/7 for over 2 years without a problem. Check with a local dealer about who builds them, mine is very well built and compared to others that friends have I do not regret the purchase

dirtryder

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:22:35 AM »

I also have a Wood Doctor and it is absolutely awesome. I have the HE5000. I see the same folks on here bashing the Wood Doctor's. I think it's just a personal thing. There is a new dealer near me that has installed the HE5000, HE8000, and some HE10,000 (after I purchased mine direct) and everyone loves them. Now, maybe in the past or the non- gassers are what someone is complaining about, but what I have and use is one well made and operating boiler.
I am a Master Auto tech with repairs, welding, plumbing, electrical, and hyd experience for 30+ years so yes, I can make an informed decision on workmanship.
Also, I did extensive reasearch before I bought my boiler and I would NEVER buy stainless of any kind..... Look it up, stainless "hates"  heat....... but, a previous post is saying to go that route.
In the end, you can buy what you want, but if you were my relative or neighbor, I would recomend my boiler....hands down.

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:46:21 AM »

Shaver - priced right and made with thick steel.
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 08:25:30 AM »

I have a real problem with shaver, do a few searches and look what you find on problems.  It's astounding, also, google "shaver problems topix". A bunch of customers who couldn't get helped had to go to a Internet forum to gripe and hope they did something about it cause shaver refused to answer calls.  There stoves are made of thick steel but the welding on them is sub par at best. 

Also, consider the fact the company is lying to everyone of their potential customers telling them that there stoves qualify for the tax rebate! They are no where near 75% efficient, more like 50 some, yet they lie to their customers and will potentially cause them problems if it's investigated. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 03:19:43 PM »

I have a real problem with shaver, do a few searches and look what you find on problems.  It's astounding, also, google "shaver problems topix". A bunch of customers who couldn't get helped had to go to a Internet forum to gripe and hope they did something about it cause shaver refused to answer calls.  There stoves are made of thick steel but the welding on them is sub par at best. 

Also, consider the fact the company is lying to everyone of their potential customers telling them that there stoves qualify for the tax rebate! They are no where near 75% efficient, more like 50 some, yet they lie to their customers and will potentially cause them problems if it's investigated.

I have a shaver 290.  Its done exactly what they said it will do . They all have had their problems .I am selling these also, Whats astounding is the fact that people are always try to change the the way the furnace should be installed or short cut on the parts and everything else you could possibly think of.  Almost every one who comes out to look at my stove will end up telling me that they are going to do it this way or that way and it usually has something to do with trying to save a buck. I have read the problems and cant help to wonder if we could see what they have done we could probably see the problem they are blaming shaver for. Also, Shaver stoves are certified for the rebate. i dont know what you are saying.I received  the 1500 rebate and have a certificate to prove it . Please be accurate with your post . 
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »

Shaver must be using false document because they are not EPA phase II approved, in fact I don't even think they have a furnace that could even pass phase I. Here is the link to the EPA website that lists the furnaces that have passed the official testing. http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/owhhlist.html  Shaver has been know to make other crazy claims so it is no surprise they would lie about this. 
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 09:38:54 PM »

Shaver must be using false document because they are not EPA phase II approved, in fact I don't even think they have a furnace that could even pass phase I. Here is the link to the EPA website that lists the furnaces that have passed the official testing. http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/owhhlist.html  Shaver has been know to make other crazy claims so it is no surprise they would lie about this.

I'm not sure about this nor do i really care to be honest. I just know that the stove i bought performs just like they said it would. I'm not saying that there aren't better stoves out there but the price for the shaver is very good . This is why i bought mine . Very thick steel and very good price ,easy to install (large door in back to access the plumbing.I will have my money back in no time . What more can i ask for?
Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455
Pages: [1] 2 3