Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ash pan or not  (Read 4863 times)

Deadeye_PB

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Ash pan or not
« on: September 09, 2008, 04:03:45 PM »

Hey guys, as you can see, I’m new to the forum and I’ve found it to be a wealth of knowledge so far.  I am planning a DIY outdoor furnace but I have a few question regarding the design.  I plan on using .5” carbon steel tubes as both the firebox and water jacket with a forced air fan.  My problem is figuring out whether to add an ash pan and grate.  I have no experience with outdoor furnaces so the information that I have is based only on research that I’ve done. 

If I didn’t add the pan and grate, it would be much easier to fabricate.  Not having these would also make it less likely to leak because there would be fewer welds and I wouldn’t have to replace grates every so often.  I would have to shovel ashes but from what I understand, a forced air furnace provides a more complete burn and far less ashes.  I’ve been told too that allowing the ashes to stay beneath the coals allows for better insulation and also allows for a better burn.

If I did add the ash pan and grate, it would obviously be easier to remove the ashes.  However, it makes the furnace harder to fabricate, more likely to leak, and I would also have to replace grates every once and a while.

So what’s your opinion?  I don’t mind shoveling ashes but will I really have to do it that much with a forced air system?  The pros and cons seem to be telling me not to install the ash pan and grate.  Is there anything that I’m not thinking of?   

Deadeye_PB

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Ash pan or not
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »

Anyone?.......................I know that this forum doesn't get much traffic, but does anyone have any advice.

Thanks

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:56:15 AM »

We have an OWB that doesn't have an ash pan or grates and it has not been a problem to empty ashes. The two years we have used it I only have had to remove ashes three times each heating season.

Our son built his own OWB last year and he has had no trouble with removing ashes either. His stove is a copy of the one that we have. It was a lot of work for him but he enjoys the satisfaction of a job well done and the fact that he doesn't have to spend any money for gas to heat his house.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

Deadeye_PB

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  That's kind of what i thought.  It just seems like ash pans, grates, stainless steel fireboxes, etc. are all marketing strategies to get the sales of uneducated buyers.  Emptying it 3 times a year isn't bad at all.  Again thanks for the reply and i'll take any suggestions that anyone else has. 

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »

I use a Heat Master SS4000 ( no ashpan). I burn mine year around and emply the ashes 4 to 5 times a year. It not much trouble at all to remove the ashes and it seems to me that if your making your own, the simpler the better.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:11:38 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  That's kind of what i thought.  It just seems like ash pans, grates, stainless steel fireboxes, etc. are all marketing strategies to get the sales of uneducated buyers.  Emptying it 3 times a year isn't bad at all.  Again thanks for the reply and i'll take any suggestions that anyone else has. 
deadeye, i have built my own..going into winter 7 no problems, however, after 5 years i ran across some free firebrick and lined the bottom third of my firebox (36 inch pipe) with them, it seems to have allowed my coals to burn down a lot finer as the water under the bottom (i have about an inch of water under the bottom of my stove just so i would not have any welds  where the two pipes meet) does not pull the heat out of the coals as quickly.
my pipes are a 36 inch inside a 42 with forced air that  if you likei can take a photo or two and try and post here?

home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

ckbetz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 04:01:42 AM »

I have a Central Boiler 5648 with no ashpan and don't find it an inconvenience either.  One thing to note is to make sure you have an ash rake to stir your ashes every day.  This will also let trapped gases burn to reduce your ash content.  I have a monster of an old house and really only empty my ashes 4 or 5 times a year.
Pomeroy, Ohio