Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Fire smoldering out  (Read 3304 times)

murph

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Fire smoldering out
« on: November 02, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »

I'm new to using an outdoor wood furnace and own an E-classic 2300 from Central Boiler. Maybe it just happens when its warm out but has anyone had any problems with the fire going out due to long down times between cycling on? When the water is up to temp and the fan shuts off and the dampers close the fire will never restart when it calls for heat later on. Is this due to the fact that its been warm out (60-70) and it takes almost an hour to restart? In the meantime I've rigged my upper damper (the E-classic has 2) with a piece of metal wire that keeps it open about 1/8th inch. This seems to keep the ambers burning just enough to start the fire when it calls for heat. The temperature never climbs when the fan stops in this condition so it seems to be working O.K., but this is not what it was designed to do. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this and if so , is this problem most likely going to go away when cycle times get shorter in the colder months?

thanks,
Murph

Hank

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Fire smoldering out
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 10:09:53 AM »

I have a Hardy H2, mine does the same thing. You need to have very seasoned wood to start your burning season with. When I first fire mine for the winter I leave my draft door open for about an hour or so so it gets to burning well, then I run my domestic water so the OWB kicks on. You need to have a good bed of coals