Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wood Boiler...too much work? regrets?  (Read 15982 times)

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Wood Boiler...too much work? regrets?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 03:32:48 PM »

I don't think you will regret getting one. The people I have heard about that were unhappy thought it would save them all that money but don't expect to do much more than they did with gas. I don't know what your weather is like down there but I would assume it isn't real cold. If you get a decent boiler and are heating an average size house I would guess you will use closer to 5 cord per year if it is dry. 10 cord seems to be about the average here unless they are heating a shop or something or have poor insulation. Also garages use a lot more heat than most people think they do.

The other thing to remember is that the whole point of getting it is to save money. If you get the most expensive everything there is a good chance it will never pay for itself or will take twice as long.

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »

i guess it depends on where you have to drive to cut your wood and what is involved getting the wood loaded . had a friend who had to wheel it from the woods, no way. i cut on my own farm and its not that big of a deal and i was one that was worried, not a young pup anymore.  the main reason is not having to split, it makes it so easy, i really try to avoid large logs unless they are fallen. been doing it for 3 years now, keep 1 year ahead like willie, i store it in one of my barns in 12 foot legnths for 2 years and then cut it by the furnace and stack it. hope to keep doing it for years,
Newrichmond, Ohio

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 06:13:27 AM »

The only acceptable level to me is $0 going to the energy gods. As long as people continue doing the same ole thing and just writing the check, energy companies will always have you by the b@lls! Look at gathering wood as that gym membership you would have gotten but no longer need. $ saved there too. If all you can do is buy wood, then by all means find an alternative. I personally have never bought firewood. That is defeating the purpose of wood burning in my book. For the record, my home used to be heated,cooled, cooking, water heating, etc for about $150 mo.(all energy, lp,electricity) . That bill rose to about 300 avg just by rate increases! That is why I chose to go with OWB and get rid of LP costs anyway. That 300 avg was with me burning wood in an airtight stove as supplemental heat and camping in basement. My home is newer(I built it to highest std of the time in late 90's. I love my OWB. I may build my next one, who knows. I would rather pay for an OWB and give someone a job, than give my money to an energy leech.

Bill G

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 08:51:41 AM »

Hey Guys,
     $550 a tri ax loaded with prime tele ph pole size PA oak.  I get 2 yrs for my quadrafire wood stove in basement.  Does fine for basement and first floor.  Don't do much for 2nd floor.  Sooooo, the Lp bill has went from bearable to insane this past year!

My life actually became "unbearable" when the bride opened the nice neat plastic baggie left hanging on our door knob.  In the bag, the note reads like this, "sorry we missed you, but we are glad to fill your propane tank".  "That will be $800 in US Funds to be paid in full w/in 30 days".  So, times were tough the past month, as business was slow.  We sent 1/2 payment and promised remainder next month.  Immediately received past due notice, and demand for payment-in-full! 

P & M gasifier Optimizer 250 in the works!  My son's college fund just got lighter!  Now I only got enough for 10 minutes of college, instead of 15 min!!! 

Even if the new furnace was to burn the whole tri ax load in one year, we would still be way ahead of the game!  I can't see it burning a whole lot more than the old wood stove, though.  I load it 4-5-6 ties every day, and should only need 2X per day w/new.

I still would much rather pay my friend (logger) than Superior Propane, here in NE PA! 

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

Ridgekid

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »

Bill- Your either my neighbor or know the same guy I just ordered a tri axle from (Same price).

NCredneck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »

How many cords of wood do you end up with on a triaxle load? I think I got enough wood around here but to just cut what I can that falls,weed out the less desireable species and such but to have a load dropped by the stove and already felled good wood....thats a plus that may be worth some money.

Ridgekid

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 02:54:31 PM »

My sources tell me it's almost 8 cords.

gspren

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 05:42:20 AM »

I had been looking and thinking for several years but just couldn't quite push myself into getting a OWB until last year something happened that was so good to get me into this that you won't hardly believe it all. A gas pipe line is coming across my farm and the right of way money more than paid the stove and installation. Now the next part is neat, the pipe line cuts across a steep wooded section in the pasture so they need to cut down about 25 trees, mostly wild cherry and locust, so they get an estimate on the value of the trees and have to pay me for the trees but since they don't want them they will stack the logs for me down on the level grassy part where it is easy to get to. I get to sell the trees and then keep them plus they cut on a steep slope and drag down to where I can get a trailer right to them. No regrets on the stove, so far its fun.
Portage & Main ML30
Stihl 261
Stihl 044 (15 years old)
Stihl 041 (30 years old)
Yamaha Kodiak 4 Wheeler
John Deere 2355 4x4 loader tractor
70 acres (23 wooded)

NCredneck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 06:26:32 AM »

gspren
Now that is what I would call blessed/ lucky as heck and a perfect time to buy a boiler. Wow, is all I can say. I wish I could get that lucky...it would be my luck that the county would annex the property...pay me half of what its worth...increase my taxes on the rest because of an improvement that I might could use and by taking my land reduce any ability to cut my own wood to heat with..lol.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »

Sounds like you and I have the same kind of luck NC redneck
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 04:14:34 PM »

Ridgekid,

My friend's tri ax log truck holds 10 plus cords.  He ain't shy about loading it right to the top!  Some have said it defeats the purpose of burning wood, but that is a lot of pick-up truck loads.  On the pro side, I don't burn any fuel truckin it home, don't hurt my myself loading and unloading.  It is a good deal all around for me.

Going on short road trip Tuesday to buy the Thermo-pex pipe.  Price is $12.50 a ft.  Seems to be going rate.  Central Boiler dealer has in stock.  While there, I will look at the E2400.  Sort of got my sight set on that P & M opt250 though.  Will keep open mind.

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
NE PA

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »

Is it dry? 10 cord of green oak weighs 60,000+

Ridgekid

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 07:47:12 AM »

I'll be happy with at least 8 cords. We'll see what I end up with once it's cut and stacked.

Where you going for the Thermopex? Falls Creek?

Bill G

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 08:07:38 AM »

Going to D & R Country Design, Palmerton.  Near Broadheadsville (Poconos).  Gents' name is Randy. 

Anxious to get my project underway!  12.50 a ft seems going rate for Thermopex, from the shopping around I did.  Should save on shipping but still have to put fuel in my truck.  Times sure STINK in that dept!!!

Neighbor gave me 2 PU truck loads of Poplar and shag bark hickory, yesterday.  Not the best, but close and free.  Will use to finish off year, into Apr. and May '12. 
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
NE PA

Ridgekid

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »

I mis-read your orginal post. I thought you were in NW Pa. Thought I might save you a trip to the Poconos.
Pages: 1 [2] 3