Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Steam to H2o  (Read 2737 times)

JBG

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Steam to H2o
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:31:51 AM »

Hello friends,  was wondering if anybody has converted steam radiators to hot water.
I have installed several steam radiators in my shop but I think I still have air trapped.
I drilled and tapped an air valve on the top of each radiator which seams to remove all
the air but still no luck.  Sure hope I don't have to remove all those boat anchors. :bash:
Shaver 290
37 Ton Northstar log splitter

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Steam to H2o
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »

Do you have two pipes connected to them? (Some steam radiators had the water run back down the same pipe the steam came up and used a single pipe)

JBG

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »

RSI... I have two pipes connected to each radiator making one big circuit.  I have
9 steam radiators and 2 water radiators.  I thought maybe my B&G 100 pump was not
working so I replaced it with a new one but still no heat.  I am running off a 60 plate
heat exchanger.
Shaver 290

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »

I dont see why a steam radiator wont work for hot water.  What is the pipe inlet and outlet size for the units.  It sounds like you have one large series circuit.  Do you know how much water is going through this system and being returned to the boiler?  You may have too many units on one loop.  Also, if it is a series circuit, a single plugged or fouled unit will affect all of them.
Muskoka, Ont

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »

Do you have any water moving through them? Are you sure the pump isn't air locked or as mentioned above any plugged up?

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »

unless i am reading things wrong the  info on the B+G 100 pump says its head pressure is from 0 to 8 feet of head//are you sure you are moving the water back to your OWB?
I am not sure how much head pressure each rad would add to your system when they are all hooked in a row if you hooked them off a header system it might go much easier on the pump?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »

I didn't realize the B&G 100 series had that low of head pressure. 
What size pipes do you have running to the radiators? I would replace that pump with a B&G PL36.

JBG

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »

Well it looks like I'm up and running.  My system still had air in it.  I had an ol' retired
heat plant buddy stop by and purge the system.  Good friends are better than money
in the bank....  I am running 11 radiators with 3/4 pipe so hopefully that will be plenty
of heat for my shop.  The temps this week will be in the 60's so I won't really know
until next week but it looks like the steam radiators will work fine.
Thanks for everybody's input/suggestions.  I learn something everyday on this site.
JBG
Shaver 290

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »

Is it 3/4" pex or it is metal pipe? If the last radiators in line get too cold to put off enough heat you might need to get a bigger pump.

JBG

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 06:34:27 PM »

I used 3/4 black iron between my radiators.  I used 3/4 pex to feed and return from
my radiators because It gave me more flexability running through my floor joists.
My shop is 100 x 50  with a second floor as an apartment so I had some pretty tricky
runs...You are correct the last radiator was not too warm but I am waiting for the temps
to drop in a few days and then I can adjust my furnace temp a little higher.  I do however
have a bigger pump on standby. :thumbup:
Shaver 290