Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: In line filters  (Read 2279 times)

clydem

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
In line filters
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »

After reading about the pump failures in another area of this forum, I too have hard well water with a lot of iron content. I have a 50% antifreeze mix and the water mix seems "slippery" to the touch and more viscous than tap water. I wonder if the mix helps lubricate the pump rotor. I have notice fine brown particles in my test samples and I have been thinking about adding a filter I just don't want it degrade the pumps performance.
I have a few questions about cartridge  filters.
What brand are people using?
Do they restrict the flow?
How do they hold up to the high temps?

thanks in advance
Clyde

CB5036    inst: 11/20/11
Stihl MS280C  WOODPECKER 24T Log Splitter
JD 4600,  G27 IWB
Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

Member: MGO, USCCA, MCRGO, GOA, GSSF, NRA,

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: In line filters
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »

After reading about the pump failures in another area of this forum, I too have hard well water with a lot of iron content. I have a 50% antifreeze mix and the water mix seems "slippery" to the touch and more viscous than tap water. I wonder if the mix helps lubricate the pump rotor. I have notice fine brown particles in my test samples and I have been thinking about adding a filter I just don't want it degrade the pumps performance.

thanks in advance
Clyde

clyde, im not sure if i am just lucky or not..my filter (original ones looked like a ball of twine) and now look like formed plastic or something of that sort but i think the restrictionon flow is very minimul and i am still on mhy original taco 0011 pump. i am now entering my 11th year with this pump, if you were to use me as an example i guess i would have to conclude that no damage to the pump is done. i am sure there must be some flow restriction but i have no idea of how much. just make sure if you get one that it will withstand the high temps of yoru water
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

clydem

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
Re: In line filters
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »

What brand do you have & where did you get it?

thanks
Clyde

thanks in advance
Clyde

clyde, im not sure if i am just lucky or not..my filter (original ones looked like a ball of twine) and now look like formed plastic or something of that sort but i think the restrictionon flow is very minimul and i am still on mhy original taco 0011 pump. i am now entering my 11th year with this pump, if you were to use me as an example i guess i would have to conclude that no damage to the pump is done. i am sure there must be some flow restriction but i have no idea of how much. just make sure if you get one that it will withstand the high temps of yoru water
CB5036    inst: 11/20/11
Stihl MS280C  WOODPECKER 24T Log Splitter
JD 4600,  G27 IWB
Michigan's Thumb north of Port Huron

'When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.'

Member: MGO, USCCA, MCRGO, GOA, GSSF, NRA,