Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: w/w plate exchanger  (Read 5548 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: w/w plate exchanger
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »

what kind of ir gun did you buy.  i bought a cheap one (30.00) at home depot and couldn't get consistant readings.
i dont use a gun i have thermometers at the stove and in the home. i read where you used a candy thermometer, i think that would get you close.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »

I would turn on a hot water faucet and feel the temperature of the pipe coming out of the plate. (both boiler and DHW pipes) If the boiler line is way cooler than the inlet and the DHW side it not real hot then you have a flow problem. If both seem hot, turn on more faucets and see how much it can handle.

The plate is the most likely place to get plugged (unless you have a filter or Y strainer). You can remove it and clean it if it is plugged.

trz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »

without turning any faucets on, the inlet and outlet on the plate  are both hot,  the in let for the dwh is cool and the outlet is luke warm.  are you saying the plate can be cleaned or the filter/ytrap if there were one. ( which there is not)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »

without turning any faucets on, the inlet and outlet on the plate  are both hot,  the in let for the dwh is cool and the outlet is luke warm.  are you saying the plate can be cleaned or the filter/ytrap if there were one. ( which there is not)
trz RSI asked you turn on a hot water tap because the results you are now posting will be true, teh inlet and outlet from teh OWB should both be hot as the water is moving through them. with no water moving through your domestic system (because no tap is open and therefore, now water is moving in that side of the exchanger the domestic in will be cold, and the domestic out will only be luke warm as there may be a small amount of heat "siphoning" from the plate exchanger or the hot water tank (if you use one)

go turn on a tap or two and redo the test RSI suggested
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »

what kind of ir gun did you buy.  i bought a cheap one (30.00) at home depot and couldn't get consistant readings.

It's a Extech from Lowes for $56.  Not the one I originally went to purchase but seems accurate.  I measured my arm temp and it was 98.4.  For some reason it can't read accurately thru copper or stainless steel but can read thru pex and galvanized steel.  I most likely will return it.

trz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »

trz RSI asked you turn on a hot water tap because the results you are now posting will be true, teh inlet and outlet from teh OWB should both be hot as the water is moving through them. with no water moving through your domestic system (because no tap is open and therefore, now water is moving in that side of the exchanger the domestic in will be cold, and the domestic out will only be luke warm as there may be a small amount of heat "siphoning" from the plate exchanger or the hot water tank (if you use one)

go turn on a tap or two and redo the test RSI suggested

okay, i understand now.
Pages: 1 [2]