Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Chimney fire the other night on our 5036  (Read 8342 times)

pwdiver

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler since 2009
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • No matter where you go there you are
    • View Profile
    • narronseggstra's
Chimney fire the other night on our 5036
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »

I think I loaded to much wood in the boiler the other night and some must have gotten toward's the back of the boiler on the other side of the low point baffle, Had the door open while placing some wood in the front I happened to look up and saw sparks and flames coming out of the chimney. I set the thermostat down to close the damper and shut the door it went right out. ::)
I use a Stihl MS361 saw & MS250 & MS170
New Holland TC30 tractor
powerdiver6000@aol.com

Drivebymashing

• OWF Brand: Earth Outdoor
  • OWF Model: 305 Bear Cub
    • View Profile
Re: Chimney fire the other night on our 5036
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »

Mine is a different brand.Mine looks like a flame thrower every time it runs throws sparks and flames
Husqvarna 445
Husqvarna 262xp
Husqvarna 55
2004 Corvette Z06
1971 Deuce and a half 10x10

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:08:12 PM »

I think I loaded to much wood in the boiler the other night and some must have gotten toward's the back of the boiler on the other side of the low point baffle, Had the door open while placing some wood in the front I happened to look up and saw sparks and flames coming out of the chimney. I set the thermostat down to close the damper and shut the door it went right out. ::)

You missed out on an excellent chance to clean your chimey and exhaust area really well....  Chimney fires in an owb are a great thing.  When I ran a conventional I would burn a load of cardboard boxes once a month to clean r out, made it look like new inside! 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

jecole360

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:46:19 AM »

That was probably the result of not cleaning the creosote out of your chimney! If you let the fire go up the back it will burn up into the chimney and ignite the creosote.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 01:52:08 PM »

That was probably the result of not cleaning the creosote out of your chimney! If you let the fire go up the back it will burn up into the chimney and ignite the creosote.

Yep, and a good hot fire will eliminate the need for any cleaning, the fire will do it all on it's own, next time it does that let her eat
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »

Scott, do you think  that when you burn cardboard or leave the door open and give your self a good cleaning out, that if your temp are a little on the low side that the metal mite warp or crack from getting to hot to fast
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:24:17 PM »

No, as long as your stove is full of water it won't hurt anything.  I have done that with every conventional stove I have operated. 

Just my opinion

I've never had to clean my chimney and it always cleaned it up better than any brush i could use
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »

I open mine up like that tonight took my baffle plate out and let the fire burn the chimney out. About a two foot flame crap out of the stack and I had the single wall stainless glowing red when the blower stopped the burn cycle I closed the doors. Definetly cleans it out I am not to crazy about it but it works.
Michael West
Central Ohio

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »

I open mine up like that tonight took my baffle plate out and let the fire burn the chimney out. About a two foot flame crap out of the stack and I had the single wall stainless glowing red when the blower stopped the burn cycle I closed the doors. Definetly cleans it out I am not to crazy about it but it works.
So you made a baffle plate. Have you noticed any diference yet?
  I havent had a good chiminy fire in years and my stack is pretty clean. I watched a blue flame come out of the stack one night. I just thought that this cant be to good.Went on for more than a few minutes.

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 05:01:32 AM »

No I would like to it came factory with a small baffle plate that is alread warped! I saw a post where a hardy dealer makes one out of channel to make smoke escape holes smaller I plan on making one this summer
Michael West
Central Ohio

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:15:03 PM »

thank's scott, just want you to no that you are much appreciated, you bring your experiance and knowledge to us beginers thanks for all your time and help
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

pwdiver

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler since 2009
  • No matter where you go there you are
    • View Profile
    • narronseggstra's
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »

I just want to add that my chimney is clean but what scared me was the cinders where falling on the ground near the boiler and I had dry leaves on the ground, I went back out several times later but it was fine. I had put to much wood in I believe and I diffently dont want to catch the yard on fire :D
I use a Stihl MS361 saw & MS250 & MS170
New Holland TC30 tractor
powerdiver6000@aol.com

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »

I have done the same thing a couple of times to my 5036. If I load to many small dry pieces it will shoot flames right under the back baffle and up the stack. This is one more reason I like nice big rounds when ever possible.

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 06:07:13 AM »

Once in a while ( I like rainy days) when I load it I let the fire build up so it shoots out the top, I can t do it load cause my cap gets red. But in 2 years I have never cleaned the pipe when I look in there it always seems clean
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO