Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Another boil over  (Read 3104 times)

sabercat

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 5036
    • View Profile
Another boil over
« on: January 21, 2016, 06:20:24 AM »

Woke up Monday to a cool house, down to 65. So went outside to check on the 5036, as soon as I opened the door, I heard a screeching sound, not good. So I pulled the dampner fuse and shut off the rocker swich. I never really looked to see if it was a stuck dampner, but assuming it was, after looking in the firebox to just ashes. My pump was running ,on no water so I figured it was shot, (that was the screeching sound). Anyway, I started adding water, brought the temp down from 211 quick. Turned the power back on, and the pump worked, has a slight tic to it, I do have a spare pump, was set to pull the guts out of the good one, and replace the bad pump guts. So after this being the 3rd time,(boilover) 2 was severe like this one was, one boilover not so bad, I bought another solenoid, will replace it this weekend, and also the pump guts. Since the first boilover, I have WD40 it probably at least ever two weeks, I even have the cover off to make it real easy to lube. I have scraped creasote off the dampner, hinge ares are cleaned also. Hopefully this will end the boilovers, and not split my fire box. Thanks for listening.

tinfoilhat2020

• OWF Brand: POS
    • View Profile
Re: Another boil over
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 06:26:27 AM »

sheesh, that stinks....i would think than lubing the solenoid and cleaning the damper door that often should be sufficient. what kind of wood are you burning?? seasoned, green or a mix?  also what are you set point, differential and current outside temperatures in your area?????

sabercat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 06:22:27 PM »

sheesh, that stinks....i would think than lubing the solenoid and cleaning the damper door that often should be sufficient. what kind of wood are you burning?? seasoned, green or a mix?  also what are you set point, differential and current outside temperatures in your area?????

That's what I thought also.
I'm burning straight ash, right now pretty seasoned. I have it set 175-185, teens at night, 20's low 30's for right now.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 10:33:55 PM »

You could put a strap on aquastat on the pipe in the house to turn on the heat when it is overheating. It may be able to keep it from boiling and the house being too hot would tell you there is something wrong out at the boiler. You would just need to wire in parallel with the wall thermostat.

If you had a failed pump and a stuck solenoid, that wouldn't help. You would need the aquastat at the boiler to help in that situation.

sabercat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 06:28:07 PM »

You could put a strap on aquastat on the pipe in the house to turn on the heat when it is overheating. It may be able to keep it from boiling and the house being too hot would tell you there is something wrong out at the boiler. You would just need to wire in parallel with the wall thermostat.

If you had a failed pump and a stuck solenoid, that wouldn't help. You would need the aquastat at the boiler to help in that situation.

Thanks you have me thinking now. I have a wireless meat thermostat for like a smoker, I may be able to use it to set off an alarm, thanks