Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Leak  (Read 3007 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Leak
« on: March 22, 2013, 04:29:50 AM »

I knew the title would catch your attention.

I have a CB e1400.  This is my second year operating it.  It's running great.  This morning when I added firewood for the day, I decided to check the water level in the water jacket.  I haven't checked it all season so I figure, what the heck.  I was surprised to see it was down about an inch and half in the site glass.  That's in the safe operation area but it caused me a bit concern.  I was wondering where the water went.  I was told by my CB rep when I purchased it that I shouldn't have to add any water to it.  So you can imagine how surprised I was when I saw it a bit low.  Anyway, I start looking around and I didn't see the telltale sign of water leaking anywhere outside.  The ground is still covered with snow (where's spring?) and there is no melt taking place.  So, I figure the next place to look is in the basement of the house.  In the vicinity of the oil furnace, (the installer connected directly to the oil furnace) there is a floor drain.  Due to the lack of the usual rainfall, the bottom of the catch basin has been unusually dry.  Not this morning.  It was wet with HOT water.  Okay, I now know I have a leak somewhere in the system in the house.  After carefully monitoring everything I see the drain valve on the back of the oil furnace dripping with the telltale sign of a water mark leading to the drain.  Walla!  Found it!  I tried tightening the valve handle but that did no good, it continues to drip.  So, later today I'll be replacing the faulty one with a new one.  I guess the moral of the story is never let your guard down and occasionally check the system over.  This little leak in time would have cost me a chunk of cash.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
Re: Leak
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:39:15 AM »

Glad to got that leak tracked down and that it wont be a huge deal to fix.

Not sure if they would work for your situation but after having a leak in a pipe under my well pressure tank, I have been looking at getting some water alarms for my basement.

Here is a couple I am considering:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VECNMQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049D7FUC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA