Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pump question  (Read 3139 times)

hddmax66

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
Pump question
« on: February 13, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »

I run my burner on one loop from the burner to the plate exchanger to the furnace heat exchanger then to the garage exchanger and back to the boiler. Very rarely do all 3 run at one time if ever. I did at test and with all them running and my return temps were very low. I have the taco 009 and I was recommended a bigger pump which I totally agree would be good for my situation. I was recommended the taco 011. I went to my dealer today and he said he doesn’t carry them nor does he recommend them because he did a test side by side to the 009 and the 011 had only about half gallon more flow in the same time filling a 5 gallon bucket. He states the the flow is limited by the 1" ID pex. I would like to boost my flow. I would love opinions on this.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Pump question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »

This chart debunks that fairly easily

http://www.pexuniverse.com/content/how-size-circulator-pump

009 has a max flow of like 8 gpm
011 has a max flow of 28 gpm

009 will do over 35' of head
011 will do around 32'

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »

perhaps your dealer is correct but i read on all charts and pump curves that  1 inch pex can handle upwards of 7.5 gpm with no adverse wear on the pipe due to friction

also an 09 pump at 20 feet of head the charts say 5 gpm an 011 pump at 20 feet of head says 13 gpm you really need to figure out the head pressure that your system  would create at the gpm that you desire to run your system at then you can choose the pump you require.

also there are folks here who can hlep you set something up so it is impossable to run all three things at once (another option)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:39:36 PM by willieG »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »

looking at the taco charts..if your dealer did a test and the taco 11 only outdid the taco 9 by a half gallon he would have to have tested both pumps at about 27 feet of head

at 27 feet of head the charts say an 09 would deliver about 3 gpm...the 011 would deliver about 3 1/2 or 4 gpm and an 013 pump would do about 8 gpm

for you to be creating that much head you msut be a long distance from the boiler to the house (and/or) have a lot of valves or elbows in yoru piping system
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »

Yea but for someone to say it only flows 1/2 gallon more without knowing that information isnt good...  It would be a rare miracle that it was tested at 27 ft

Check out this link
http://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-tubing-technical-specs

Willie, find me some links in regards to pex wearing
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 02:06:20 PM »

How do you figure out the head pressure?
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 04:59:44 PM »

How do you figure out the head pressure?

johnny you might try looking on the net for help... there are charts with formulas and such...each size of pipe...length of the loop you have (distance from house to boiler) number of elbow and such types of exchangers etc all work out to how much "friction" you are creating...the more friction you create the stronger your pump needs to be to push water through the pipe other things come into effect also but it takes some reading and re reading...i dont think i still understand it completely if you are pumping water or glycol mix  also effects things some.

basically..the bigger the line you use, the less friction you will create...the shorter the distance, the less friction you will create. the less friction you can manage the samller the pump you can use...the smaller the pump you can use, likley the less power you will use Taco pumps  has a pretty good working  paper on the net if you search it i am sure there are many more as well

try some searches such as  calculating pump curves..figuring head pressure in hydronic loop...good luck and happy reading
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada