Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Marking Propan, water, elec lines  (Read 1938 times)

mtoll

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Marking Propan, water, elec lines
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »

CountryBoyJohn I know your back ground is Engineering and government polices. The local utility services will mark the utilities water gas elec lines before they get to your house will they also mark them in your yard, do you need to get a local contractor. I have all of those to cross with my underground lines.   
Wife Rodeos, have 5 Barrel racing horses
Ride HD Road Glide
Vet  USN / USMC

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
Re: Marking Propan, water, elec lines
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:41:28 AM »

If you have Digger's Hotline in your state they will mark all utility owned lines for no cost just a 3 business day notice. They won't mark private stuff though, there are usually people around with a locator that will do this fairly reasonably. Electrical and some plumbing contractors who do septic and well work may have the equipment.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:21:39 PM »

I've seen both. My experience in this area is they will mark on your whole property. Where I used to live they didn't. The Indiana hotline is 811. Call that number, fill out your ticket, mark your route with white paint and see who comes out. If they don't all come out, call the individual utility owner and see if they will mark.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

mtoll

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »

Had to call an independent contractor to get the lines marked. The local utility companies will only mark to your meter.  Propane dealer told me to turn the gas off and if we hit the line call them and they will install a new line in. 
Do not think Ill get boiler installed for a few weeks yet have some more parts to get from Scott7m
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:39:04 PM by mtoll »
Wife Rodeos, have 5 Barrel racing horses
Ride HD Road Glide
Vet  USN / USMC

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 02:11:47 PM »

I had to have a discussion with my dad during the early stages of his construction project on where to place lines - LP, water & electric (building in basically the middle of the 40, so nothing to hit but tree roots).

I told him to bury water and electric where ever he wanted, cause he already had the trenches dug and pipe/wire installed.  Then came the decision on where to run gas line (from tank, to garage and house).  He first drew straight lines and said go; me being somewhat of an engineer and not wanting to hit the line in 20 years, when adding on or fixing a water line - whatever mainance is required.  Solution, follow footings around front of garage and to the side where it enters, then straight of the corner right in front of the shed/OWB overhang (to LP powered generator) , and right under the front door into the house. Hopefully I can remember that in 20 years or so when we tear the yard up again  8)