Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: end of season close down help  (Read 1389 times)

big don

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 3000E
    • View Profile
end of season close down help
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »

Two months ago I purchased a Heatmaster 3000E and now I am ready to close it down for the summer and I wonder if one of you gentleman could address the following question I have?  I was told that you should just spray water into the top cleanout door after you shut down and clean the chimney and that is all that is necessary---I read that Scott wrote that you never want to spray water into your stove and that sure makes sense to me.  Scott recomendeded that you burn a good load of cardboard  and that will clean her out good.  Ok, so how much cardboard do I put in the stove--do I close the aquastat off which will close the fan on the back of the stove  also or do I leave it on while the cardboard is burning up? Thank you for any help you can offer as this is my first year with my owb stove.

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
Re: end of season close down help
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »

I would say no to the water anywhere in the boiler where it doesn't normally belong. Not sure on how HM controls are but when I shut down I let it burn down the wood to coals, shut of the draft fan and let the furnace fan in the house cool down the boiler to about 120 - 130. Then I put as much clean cardboard in it as I could, turned the fan back on and let it do its thing. I did it twice for good measure and I had more cardboard left anyway.
 When it cooled down enough I vacuumed out the remaining ashes, scraped down any remaining flakes in firebox, ashpan and heat exchanger and then sprayed it all down with Fluid Film. Filled the water tank to the top and covered the chimney. I had sent in a water sample a few weeks prior to shutting down to make sure treatment was good and I have left the pump running. (may put on a timer)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: end of season close down help
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »

I could not have said it better, PLEASE DO NOT PUT WATER IN THE FIRE SIDE OF YOUR BOILER!!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.