Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: OWB Maintenance  (Read 1758 times)

GCTerpfan

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic
    • View Profile
OWB Maintenance
« on: September 30, 2014, 07:23:18 AM »

I recently inherited a 1996 Central Boiler OWB, after asking some questions on this site and several others I was able to get it up and operating about 3 weeks ago.  It has been heating my DHW ever since with no issues and everything seems to be operating fine.

This leads me to the next topic I need to learn about and that is maintenance.  A little background on this furnace, it is a '96 model CB 17 (I think). It holds 170 gallons of water.  It was purchased used by my father and hooked up "temporarily" for two years at my grandfathers.  My grandfather was in poor health and couldn't afford to continue heating with fuel oil.  My father and uncle burned it year round for two years heating the house and DHW until my grandfather passed away.  Other than adding water conditioner, there was little to no maintenance done in that two years, and we have no idea what maintenance was done prior.  The fire box does appear to have one patch welded on the side and it did develop a leak in a different location when my uncle forgot to shut the door after stoking the fire and boiled the furnace over.  He welded that leak shut and it has held for a little over a year now.  It has a taco 009 pump that I believe is original but I don't know that for sure.

I know this furnace isn't going to last forever but I am interested in doing anything I can to make it last as long as possible.  Do you guys have any suggestions, tips, tricks to keep this thing in the best possible condition?
Garrett County, MD

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
Re: OWB Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 08:20:35 AM »

I'd find someone who can supply water treatment (rust inhibitor) and add that as soon as possible.

The use of water treatment (softeners) doesn't stop corrosion in metal. When you add high heat with water
it's only a matter of time, without treatment (rust inhibitor).

I've seen several boilers around me last 25-30 yrs and not leak (properly maintained).

I'm sure several of the dealers will chime in shortly.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:13:00 AM by fryedaddy »

GCTerpfan

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic
    • View Profile
Re: OWB Maintenance
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:24:16 AM »

Garrett County, MD