Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Keep the heat *IN* your building!  (Read 6492 times)

WoodHeatIrritatesMyWife

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: None
    • View Profile
Re: Keep the heat *IN* your building!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »

Here's some info for you that's a little more complete, and up to date.  :)
http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/bareports/ba-1105-internal-insulation-masonry-walls-final-measure-guideline/view?topic=resources/freeze-thaw-damage

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/confpapers/cp-0910-measuring-impact-interior-insulation-masonry-walls-cold-climate/view?topic=resources/freeze-thaw-damage

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/digests/bsd-114-interior-insulation-retrofits-of-load-bearing-masonry-walls-in-cold-climates?topic=resources/freeze-thaw-damage

This isn't my first rodeo. :)

Enjoy!

Thanks I'll look it over, although, from what I am seeing from your first link it's still a "We're in a state of wait and see if it causes any damage".  The closed-cell definitely would be my first choice, which seems to be their recommendation, but I still need to see how the story ends in the rest of the PDFs.

Right now, I'm not overly worried about the walls, especially considering once you rip a wall open, you're subjecting yourself into some real potential problems, such as whether or not someone decided to insulate with asbestos, knob and tube wiring needing to be replaced.  Retrofitting these old buildings is something takes a lot of pros and cons to work out.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 05:50:55 AM »

Thanks I'll look it over, although, from what I am seeing from your first link it's still a "We're in a state of wait and see if it causes any damage".  The closed-cell definitely would be my first choice, which seems to be their recommendation, but I still need to see how the story ends in the rest of the PDFs.

Right now, I'm not overly worried about the walls, especially considering once you rip a wall open, you're subjecting yourself into some real potential problems, such as whether or not someone decided to insulate with asbestos, knob and tube wiring needing to be replaced.  Retrofitting these old buildings is something takes a lot of pros and cons to work out.

I'm in the same pickle at the moment, I'd like to see another foot of insulation in the attics, but covering up knob and post is a no-no, least I've always been told it is. I've been trying to remodel a room or two a year, when the walls are ripped open I run new romex down to the new 200 amp breaker box and remove the knob and post. When I redid the siding a layer of fan fold and house wrap helped tremendously as well as new windows in each room as we go. I suppose I could take out a loan and pay somebody to do it, but I'm practically debt free and paying somebody to do something I can do myself irritates me to no end. Besides if I do it myself I know it's right.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 09:03:52 AM »

Take this in guys
I live in a 20 year old 1600 ft bungalow with 10" ' walls and insulation up the wahoo. [ NO NOT PRISON]
It's so airtight the previous owners put in an air exchanger to bring in today's -20 air.
I was burning propane and did not think this set-up, especially with the air exchanger, to be cost effective.
If i don't run the air exchanger in the freezing temps. the windows get wet on the inside.
Now with the FREE wood who cares how much fresh cold air goes into the FAF
Everyone has different ideas.
You do, or not do, what ya want.
KK ;D
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

WoodHeatIrritatesMyWife

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: None
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 11:31:01 AM »

I agree with you about if the abundance of wood is there, and you can get it for a far cheaper price than other fuels, then it makes absolute
sense.

I'm trying to figure out a method for myself, that when I take from my land, that I plant a tree (preferrably two) in its place.  There are two reasons, the first is that trees being a carbon store will release the carbon on burning.  They do stop absorbing after a period of time, but they keep what they have stored out of the environment.  By planting two, I will have enabled hopefully twice the carbon store, but keeping the management of my land up.  *This is the dream*

Of course, I need to figure out how much that would cost.  Maybe I will raise baby trees in a greenhouse with a wood boiler heating it :)

kommandokenny

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »

I agree with you about if the abundance of wood is there, and you can get it for a far cheaper price than other fuels, then it makes absolute
sense.

I'm trying to figure out a method for myself, that when I take from my land, that I plant a tree (preferrably two) in its place.  There are two reasons, the first is that trees being a carbon store will release the carbon on burning.  They do stop absorbing after a period of time, but they keep what they have stored out of the environment.  By planting two, I will have enabled hopefully twice the carbon store, but keeping the management of my land up.  *This is the dream*

Of course, I need to figure out how much that would cost.  Maybe I will raise baby trees in a greenhouse with a wood boiler heating it :)
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

kommandokenny

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 01:16:09 PM »

sense.

:)

Like someone will say nothing is free.

I have access to 50+ acres of mixed forest.
I take out 20 trees a year so far and have wood left over.
My neighbour grabs a bit also, but he's not using much.
So other than a little gas and some sweat, it's free.
Nothing we do is good for the environment, unfortunately.
Planting trees is a help :thumbup:
KK
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 06:10:54 AM »

Long as you have a healthy woods you shouldn't need to replant what you cut, I only cut dead, damaged or dying trees, they've had plenty of time to produce seed. If anything I've been thinking about getting a forester out as I think my woods might actually be too thick for good timber production.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 08:21:47 AM »

Long as you have a healthy woods you shouldn't need to replant what you cut, I only cut dead, damaged or dying trees, they've had plenty of time to produce seed. If anything I've been thinking about getting a forester out as I think my woods might actually be too thick for good timber production.
Indiana's Forestry Service will come out to your property and tell you what trees should stay, which should be cut down, all while catering to your objectives with your forested property.  They helped me out a great deal and the service is free.  Plan today for your retirement fund timber tomorrow Marty. ;)
NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

Sloppy_Snood

• Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 34-44 Shaker
  • "Welcome to second place." - Steve Conover
    • View Profile
    • Indian Creek Shooting Systems
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 09:10:20 AM »

Come on, guys.  You need to fix the your building envelope!  Discuss

I agree Dragfluid.  My advice is to start sealing atthe rim joists.  There are many effective ways to seal rim joists but I had spare
Dow blueboard laying around that I chose to use in conjunction with Great Stuff Pro foam sealing the perimeters of the foamboard.

From what I have read, this is the number one source of cold air infiltration into a present day stick built home.  I have actually seen a notable increase in temeprature in my basement and a decrease in my current propane (!!!) usage.

I learned quite a bit about insulating rim joists from The Family Handyman and Larry Janesky (of Dr. Energy Saver fame/fortune).

LINKInsulate Basement Rim Joists (Click Here)

LINK (Video)Sealing and Insulating the Rim Joists (Click Here)

NWP 49mm Short Block-modified Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Harbor Freight 20-ton Dual-Direction Log Splitter
2006 Chevy 2500 3/4-ton 2WD
New Holland TC33D 4WD

LittleJohn

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
  • Lonsdale, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »

When my house was built, instead of sheathing the outside of the structure in chipboard, they used a product called SIS (Structural Insulation System -> http://oxengineeredproducts.com/building-products/styrofoam-sis-insulated-sheathing/) basically 1" foam boards that is designed for the application.  Other nice thing is that once the seams are taped you do not need to cover in TYVEK, just side right over it.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 11:27:14 AM »

Indiana's Forestry Service will come out to your property and tell you what trees should stay, which should be cut down, all while catering to your objectives with your forested property.  They helped me out a great deal and the service is free.  Plan today for your retirement fund timber tomorrow Marty. ;)

Meh, I already have a state park across the road, having the state come out to my property for any reason makes me nervous.

The one woods will be easy, it's 50% ash, 20% tulip poplar and 30% assorted other stuff. Ashes are dying anyways and the tulip poplar will never be anything but pallet.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Pages: 1 [2]