Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Firing OWB On and Off  (Read 2859 times)

braveblaster

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
Firing OWB On and Off
« on: January 29, 2016, 10:13:55 AM »

I'm new to the site and this is my first time owning and operating an OWB, so far so good, I own a Ridgewood and am very happy with the results. I'm in NC and the weather here, specially this winter has been very mild. The lows at night around 36 and the reminder of the day 40-45 degrees and often times reaching over 50 degrees.

My question to the experts and members with more experience is this; could I, should I fire my OWB only in the evening when its cold enough to have fired up and then shut it down in the morning and through the day then, fire it again early in the evening?

Thanks!

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Re: Firing OWB On and Off
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »

What I do is turn off the pumps during the day.  I get a lot of heat bleed in the house and it warms it up too much on those extremely days.  So, I just turn off the pumps.  Late in the evening, I'll turn the pumps back and and the stove will take off right where it left off.  Even if it hasn't cycled in several hours, it will still take off.  Your stove is different than mine, so give it a try.  I don't think you'll need to "fire it up" or "shut it down" during the day. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Bondo

• OWF Brand: Home built
  • OWF Model: Bondo-built, Model #1
  • Master General Re-Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »

Ayuh,....   We obviously have different heatin' needs, but I fire up my boiler on Sept. 1, 'n it don't go out, til May 30th,....
Any Grease is Better than No grease at All

Watertown, 'n Chaumont Bay, Ny.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 09:03:51 AM »

I was doing a batch burn a few times in the past, get the odd day with a high in the fifties I’d just throw in a few pieces to keep the coals when the 400 went int the purge cycle.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

U.P. Doug

• Rudyard, Michigan Upper Penninsula
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »

I have been pretty much doing batch burns as well, load it at night and pull the coals and left over wood forward in the morning. Depending on the day temp., I may add a few pcs to last until I fill at night. I have learned on my second year not to stuff it full of wood and it's working well for me even on 0 degree nights.

braveblaster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 03:34:58 PM »

What I do is turn off the pumps during the day.  I get a lot of heat bleed in the house and it warms it up too much on those extremely days.  So, I just turn off the pumps.  Late in the evening, I'll turn the pumps back and and the stove will take off right where it left off.  Even if it hasn't cycled in several hours, it will still take off.  Your stove is different than mine, so give it a try.  I don't think you'll need to "fire it up" or "shut it down" during the day.

Umm...will give this a try, sounds like its the best options for me with this mild climate. Today is almost 60 around here.

braveblaster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »

I have been pretty much doing batch burns as well, load it at night and pull the coals and left over wood forward in the morning. Depending on the day temp., I may add a few pcs to last until I fill at night. I have learned on my second year not to stuff it full of wood and it's working well for me even on 0 degree nights.

I've tried that but don't want to waste wood when temperaures are so mild, I try to keep the OWB water temp around 165 to 170 (even with the low demand for heat due to mild temp) to prevent the firebox from sweating  and throwing wood during the day is a waste in a sense. My demand time is in the evening for the most part.

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 07:00:39 PM »

Ayuh,....   We obviously have different heatin' needs, but I fire up my boiler on Sept. 1, 'n it don't go out, til May 30th,....
yup ...u will freeze here if u pull that ...lol !