Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How to get the longest life out of a boiler system?  (Read 2172 times)

mgw44

How to get the longest life out of a boiler system?
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »

I am curious to learn about getting the most life out of my system.  It seems like the pex, heat exchangers, and other add-ons are reasonably long term and won't wear prematurely.

What is the risk to the boiler?  It seems like the main risk is corrosion.  So, how do you ensure the boiler does not corrode prematurely? 

To protect the water jacket is it as simple as making sure the water is full and at the correct PH?

For the fire box is it just making sure that the walls of the fire box are raked periodically?

Based on the warranties I've read the manufacturers will find a loop hole (consumer negligence) so that they won't have to replace the boiler due to corrosion.

What other concerns should I have to ensure I extend the life of a boiler?

Has anyone made mistakes that ruined their boiler or caused them to spend money on repairs that could have been prevented?  What is the lesson that should be learned from that mistake?

mgw44

muffin

• View Profile
Re: How to get the longest life out of a boiler system?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »

These are excellent questions.  As I am about to buy one myself, I would love to hear some feedback on this too.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
Re: How to get the longest life out of a boiler system?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 06:52:01 PM »

Stick to what the manual says...Just like a car manual.. You cant go wrong or void warranty If you follow it.. By the time that boiler warranty is up..Boiler system will be way more advance than your old one...
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire