Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Radiant vs forced air  (Read 3112 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Radiant vs forced air
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »

I plan on building a new home in the next 2-3 years.  It's going to have around 3000 sq ft of heated space.  I plan to build this home from the ground up using the best material and products I can possibly afford.  I am going to do all spray foam and buy triple pane windows, all the best i can get.

One thing I am torn on is the heating, I've never done a radiant install and know little about it.  I did read however that radiant itself is 27% more efficient than forced air.  Anyone know if that's accurate?  I know I'd love the radiant, just truly debating if the risk of leak and added materials is worth it.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Radiant vs forced air
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »

i put radiant in the floor of my basement addition..if i were to build a new home i would pay the extra and install it in the whole house!

it is totally quiet and it is so nice to have the warm feeling at your toes when you rest your feet on the floor (when i sit at my computer)

im not sure about a leak but i think if properly done the risk is very small, perhaps a professional installer will stop buy and fill u is both in?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »

Yea that would be nice, I know I could do it, but there is always a few tricks of the trade we should know before going it alone

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »

Wow I posted a big reply and it didn't post.Minnie version is yes go for it.
I did the floor in my shop and helped my uncle build his house which is all radiant.only way to go.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:35:56 PM »

scott, you can read up on it on the net and there are "other fourms" where you can ask questions. the big think is to properly insulate for radiant heat and keep your loops  the right length. there is plenty of help on the net once you start looking around
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »

If I had it to do over would put radiant heat all through my house. Put as many zones as you want. I installed a system in a Parkway building several years ago that had eight zones, one of which was bath rooms. First thing the company installing bath room partictions did was drill a hole through tubing in floor. We had made a drawing of floor tubing showing dimmensions for every loop in floor, they trrough that away until first hole then decided time to look at drawing.  Had water pressure on tubing so leak showed up right away. Had to break up nice finished floor to repair. Repair simple, and still holding as far as i know.
Of course it being a goverment building money was no object!!! Everything top of the line.

Anyway i think you would like the radiant heat in your new home. Of course you will still have the expense of installing duct work for your cooling anyway. If you do I would suggest to install metal ductwork and wrap with insulation. No liner and NO DUCT BOARD!!!

red devil

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »

radiant all the way! if you run your loops in the flooring around 300' each you will be good.Try to keep the loops around the same length and you will have even heat.If you do build a new house they have the floor sheets already set up for radiant tubes instead of running plates under flooring its alittle more bucks but after you buy plates and time installing them its worth it. I would never go without radiant in a floor again you do take your toes being warm for granted until you visit someones home and your feet are freezing without slippers. If you run a little longer loop here and there you can adjust things downstairs on the manifold. You were worried about leaks dont because its one full loop and the only leaks will be at manifold, make sure all contractors know you have radiant and watch them and yourself doing jobs because you will forget and possible put a hole in the line with long screws or nails.