Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: opinions wanted  (Read 3238 times)

birchbark

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
opinions wanted
« on: January 21, 2012, 01:09:08 AM »

I am in the market for a new owb, I currently have a home made one that is pushing 10 years old and needs the occational leak welded up.  I have it narrowed down to either the Heat Master G400 or the Profab Empyre Pro 400.  Both are gasification units, which is required in this area (EPA phase II) both are very similar in specs, price wise again very close.  The two differences that may matter are the HM is made of stainless, the Empyre is mild steel, and the HM has 260 gallons, Empyre has 115.  Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

jerkash

• OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Re: opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 04:23:47 AM »

I like mild steel and more water! 
I'm sure you will get more imput from our fellow OWF people!

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 07:42:39 AM »

I sell heatmaster and I'm fairly sure the g400 is not phase 2 compliant at this time, only the g200.   Call heatmaster to make sure because I never try to sell gassifiers
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »

Welcome to the site birchbark,
From the 2 choices you posted I would go with the Heat Master. I like stainless and more water storage.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:55:39 AM by Bull »
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

birchbark

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 10000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »

hey Scott, with you being a HM dealer, can you tell me what kind of SS the g400 is made of, what is the thickness of the firebox and water jacket, and have you heard of any issues with them? Thanks for the info

birchbark

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »

I don't know a thing about the Heatmaster. I do know that the Pro Fab is an awesome unit. I don't know of too many OWB manufacturers out there that have been making them(gassers) longer than Pro Fab. They've had plenty of time to work the bugs out of them.
   Water capacity is not an issue with a gasser, as they need to cycle frequently to keep the refractory hot so they can ignite the smoke instantly every time the system calls for heat. mgw44 has a Pro Fab (Empyre) 100 and the boiler capacity on it is only 35 gallons. It's the same unit I had, and the only thing I would have changed on that little guy would have been the primary burn chamber capacity. They list them at a little over 5 cu. ft. I might still be using it if the firebox would have been 50% bigger.
   The Pro Fab's also use the Scotch Marine style of heat transfer(same as Portage and Main), which has been around for over 150 years, and is a tried, true, and proven efficient means to transfer heat.
   The only flaw that I can see with the Pro Fab Boiler, and this is just my opinion here, might be the area in the firebox that is jacketed by water. I believe it's only 8 gauge (about .165). I like to see them at 1/4"(.250).
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:48:23 PM »

I honestly know very little about the gassers..  I'm sure the steel is 409 stainless but not sure of the thickness, they have excellent products

Call heatmaster and talk to Ryan friesen, he can give you the specs
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

mcarter

• OWF Brand: HeatMasterSS
  • OWF Model: MF5000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 07:19:42 PM »

I can't find the product information but I think the G200 is constructed with 10 gauge 'Titanium Enhanced' 409 stainless steel.

I think yoder was running one of these last year at some point.  He may know more about that model.

Michael
HeatMasterSS MF5000E by Yoder Heating
MS 460 Stihl Magnum
Husqvarna 345
8lb Wood Splitter with 'High Performance' Fiberglass Handle
5 acres