Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New to the site, and knows nothing. Look for some advice.  (Read 8912 times)

Freekazoidd

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML30
    • View Profile
New to the site, and knows nothing. Look for some advice.
« on: February 17, 2012, 06:15:26 PM »

Hello to all,
  I have been lurking around this site reading, trying to figure out what I think I might need and still have no clue. The more I read, the less I think I know. One thing is for sure, you all have alot of abbreviations for these boilers and its components!
 I am looking to buy a wood boiler to heat my house, pole barn, and hot water.  My house is 1700 sqft, the pole barn is 1000. I want a good boiler, that I don't have to monkey with alot so that it runs. Currently I am heating my house with a United States Stove Company multi fuel pellet stove. It heats the house well enough but the main furnace will still call for heat on the cold windy days/nights.  I also want all the mess outside.  I have seen a few OWB <---- see?) that are made in Michigan which is where I would like mine to be manufactured at. Easier to get parts etc. since I live here too.  I am hopefully hangy enough to do this install. Just will need some insight on hooking things up.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Brian

woodman

• OWF Brand: hawken
  • OWF Model: he1000
    • View Profile
Re: New to the site, and knows nothing. Look for some advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »

Hi Brian! You have came to the right place to get info as there is a lot of knowledge here. First you need to check local ordances to make sure you can install a owb (outdoor wood boiler) where you live. Some townships don't allow them anymore. Do you live in a rural setting or a suburban area? Do you have access to cutting your own wood or are you planning on buying it? Figure on spending around 8k for a complete system if you go non-gasser. Add another 3-5k if you want a epa white tag gasser. When I say "system" I am talking boiler, undergroung pipe, pump(s), heat exhangers (hx), domestic hot water (dhw) exchanger, pex fittings and I am sure I am forgetting a few things. Does your house currently have a forced air furnace or is it baseboard? When you are shopping for a boiler make sure you look for one that has some sort of baffle design to force the exhaust gasses to exchange as much heat as possible before they exit the flue.

Freekazoidd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »

There are no local ordinances on using an OWB. I have an unlimited supply of wood pretty much from family and friends, and yes, I have a forced air furnace that uses fuel oil to heat my home. I don't care how much smoke this thing makes, as I am only 1 of 4 on my entire road. So no one should care but the oil man, and I have not seen him in two years.
         About that baffle design, I don't know anything about these as to what is good or bad or what to look for. Central boiler is a known name to some I have talked to.  I Basically want a OWB that is going to last me what I feel is 8k's worth of time. 20 years would be nice, 30 would be better. Otherwise I may go geo thermal. I like cutting wood an d such so I would rather go that route.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »

Welcome to the site Freekazoidd
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

merrellroofing

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »

Welcome,  Where are you in michigan?  I wanted to keep my money in Michigan as well but only found a couple options.  There is a dealer for Burnrite(made in Mt. Pleasant) that lives 1 mile from me.  I believe a good close-by dealer is very important.  I did a roof for a Central Boiler dealer and made friends with him and he helped out a bunch in figuring out what I needed, as well as many people on here, and I thank them all.  I chose a non-gasser and I love it, throw it in and walk away.

Freekazoidd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »

I am 35 minutes north of Lapeer. And that is what I want, throw wood in, walk away. Sounds perfect. :thumbup:

6pacmac

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »

Well if you want a boiler built in Michigan,  check out Ridgewoodstove.com.   Built pretty good with a 3/8 thick firebox and water jacket.   I have one and it works fine.    And the price was right.   
Ridgewood 6000

merrellroofing

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 10:14:13 PM »

Ben's Superstore sells a few different brands.  Portage and Main, Wood Master, and Royal Crown that I know of, I just got a flyer today. I think it is in Brown City, You should be close to there.  Right now they will pay your sales tax and give you a splitter or trailer with a stove purchase. Might be worth checking ou t if you are serious.

Freekazoidd

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »

Ben's Superstore sells a few different brands.  Portage and Main, Wood Master, and Royal Crown that I know of, I just got a flyer today. I think it is in Brown City, You should be close to there.  Right now they will pay your sales tax and give you a splitter or trailer with a stove purchase. Might be worth checking ou t if you are serious.
I will check them out tomorrow. That is only a 15 minute drive for me. Thanks for the heads up!

gspren

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: ML 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »

I think having a good dealer nearby is more important than where the stove was made, the factory doesn't normally come out to your place to help with problems but a good dealer will.
Portage & Main ML30
Stihl 261
Stihl 044 (15 years old)
Stihl 041 (30 years old)
Yamaha Kodiak 4 Wheeler
John Deere 2355 4x4 loader tractor
70 acres (23 wooded)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »

Guys need to be careful buying stoves from box type stores.  If they don't install and service them your best to walk on by and find someone who does this for a living
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »

Guys need to be careful buying stoves from box type stores.  If they don't install and service them your best to walk on by and find someone who does this for a living
What do you mean if they don't install and service them?
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »

They sell the stove and offer no support during or after the sell, they know nothing but to spout what the company told them.   They don't install or do service calls, so they can afford to sell the stove bit cheaper but in turn offer no future help.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

They sell the stove and offer no support during or after the sell, they know nothing but to spout what the company told them.   They don't install or do service calls, so they can afford to sell the stove bit cheaper but in turn offer no future help.
I see where you coming from..The store will tell you contact the manufacture..Just like me buying my John Deere lawn mower from home depot.. Instead of the dealership..If i need technical help I got to go to the dealership.. I see your a dealer....But if the guy buying the owb and has his own plumber, has his own or access to equipment to dig the trench and has his own electrician ..Kinda don't need the dealer.. Save on the cost of what you might charge. Doesn't void the boiler warranty
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

merrellroofing

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »

I think like Matty.  I value the dealer more for having parts.  But I have friends in all trades. If they have parts and pieces, a 15 minute drive is pretty close. 
Pages: [1] 2 3