Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I'm seeing snow melting above my lines.  (Read 15226 times)

gandgracing

• View Profile
I'm seeing snow melting above my lines.
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »

I've got a short run of pipe (40') that runs to my shop and it doesn't melt the snow around the black pipe that comes out of the ground to go inside, but the run that goes to the house (75') is melting snow at its deepest spot (around 3.5').  I've got the pipe that is wrapped about 3-4 times with that foil insulation inside a 4" pipe.  I'm sure this is not helping at all but any idea how much heat I could be loosing from this?  This whole boiler thing from the beginning has been a disaster and a money pit.  This wouldn't be that big of a deal if I hadn't gone through all the trouble with Shaver.  I really dont see how they are still in business.  So whats the best pipe to get?

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: I'm seeing snow melting above my lines.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:09:32 PM »

I've installed miles of the 3 wrap, ive even installed it above ground and saw snow laying on it not melting

However, keep in mind there is huge differences in the quality of some of these 3 and 5 wraps

It's hard telling what you have if it came from shaver

5 wrap is extremely hard to beat for heat loss, but not all is created equal

If you want foam filled logstor is the way to go, it's foam filled and very expensive, but as far as heat loss, not any different than a quality 5 wrap I carry

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »

I've got a short run of pipe (40') that runs to my shop and it doesn't melt the snow around the black pipe that comes out of the ground to go inside, but the run that goes to the house (75') is melting snow at its deepest spot (around 3.5').  I've got the pipe that is wrapped about 3-4 times with that foil insulation inside a 4" pipe.  I'm sure this is not helping at all but any idea how much heat I could be loosing from this?  This whole boiler thing from the beginning has been a disaster and a money pit.  This wouldn't be that big of a deal if I hadn't gone through all the trouble with Shaver.  I really dont see how they are still in business.  So whats the best pipe to get?

you wont know how much heat you are losing until you can get an accurate GPM going through the pipe and  water temps leaving the OWB and water temps returning to the OWB when there is no load on the system

the type of pipe you describe is wonderfull stuff as long as you can keep it dry if the outer pipe gets a crack in it or a hole and water penetrates it the insulation value where the water lays  is about 0
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »

Willie is right, proper installation of it is also a major key

Deeper is not better, you don't want it down into the mucky wet soil, you want it to be as deep as your area will allow, without getting into wet soil.  If it's down in water logged soil, the water will wick away heat much faster than will dry soil.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:41:29 PM »

The pipe was purchased on eBay and seemed to be quality material. So the only thing I can really do at this point is wait until the heating season is over and then dig it up. It has to have a crack in it. You can see where the snow has melted for about 20-25 feet. Not good.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:06:48 PM »

How long has it been buried?  Is the sod in thst area very thin? 

I've seen folks think there line was losing heat when it was actually snow just not sticking as well to fresh soil
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:19:51 AM »

This is the 4th year it's been buried and its a definite line where the lines are.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:19:52 PM »

Did you not notice this in years past? 
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »

I did notice it a little last year but kind of forgot about it until this last snow we got.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »

Have you noticed a big increase in wood use? 

My neighbors hardy has melted snow for 24 years now lol, I mean melts too, the snow never ever sticks where his lines run, not even when it's below 0
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »

My neighbors hardy has melted snow for 24 years now lol, I mean melts too, the snow never ever sticks where his lines run, not even when it's below 0
my old pipes did this after the  plastic pipe was compromised, my wood consuption went up untill i was melting snow the whole length of the underground lines. my lines are 250 feet one way..when i went to logstor pipes i saved 4 bush cord the first year
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 04:08:05 PM »

Yea. I carry logstor as well, seems most folks just want tp get by cheap though
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »

my old pipes did this after the  plastic pipe was compromised, my wood consuption went up untill i was melting snow the whole length of the underground lines. my lines are 250 feet one way..when i went to logstor pipes i saved 4 bush cord the first year

i might add taht i am only in my second year with the logstor pipe so i can't say it will hold up any better then my old stuff (it was good for 4 years) then slowly got worse. only time will tell but i think the closed cell foam would have a lot longer life span if the outer jacket were to be compromised?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

603doug

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »

i have some snow melt but I do not think I am losing heat from my pipes but through the pipe acting as a chimney. I sprayed foam into the pipe but need to do a better job Wood consumption does not seem excess. My other line with the same pipe to another building does not melt at all.

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »

I have a forty foot run or so to my house from my stove and it melts the snow also. I just purchased the house with the stove already installed in May. I'm not sure what pipe I have I'll have to look. My pipe I think is only about 2 ft down.
Husky 372xp 24"
Makita DCS520i 20"
Poulan 2300 18"
Macullough Eager Beaver 2.3 18"
Troybilt 27 ton log splitter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4