Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finding my well  (Read 5027 times)

DaveWertz

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H4
    • View Profile
Finding my well
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:28:42 PM »

Lets just say I am not having any problems knock on wood. But Im the type of person I "want to know everything". Anyhow. I was down in the basement looking at my new insulated pex job and admiring it  :P and started thinking about where my well could be? Now there is a pipe that runs into the west side of my house threw the basement wall straight into my pressure tank. So I take it that I have a submercible<--- I spell that right lol. Now outside where the pipe runs in the basement I have about 10' to my shed and a concrete pad. Could it be real possible that the well is within that 10' distance of my home? I cant see it running under the concrete slab and out further. I would like to know where it is located incase I ever have to do some repairs..
2001 F150 7700 series
06 Honda Rincon 680. Lifted and made for MUD
09 Harley Superglide custom
Stihl Farmboss 290

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my well
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:12:18 AM »

Lets just say I am not having any problems knock on wood. But Im the type of person I "want to know everything". Anyhow. I was down in the basement looking at my new insulated pex job and admiring it  :P and started thinking about where my well could be? Now there is a pipe that runs into the west side of my house threw the basement wall straight into my pressure tank. So I take it that I have a submercible<--- I spell that right lol. Now outside where the pipe runs in the basement I have about 10' to my shed and a concrete pad. Could it be real possible that the well is within that 10' distance of my home? I cant see it running under the concrete slab and out further. I would like to know where it is located incase I ever have to do some repairs..

Have you checked with the previous owners?  Someone should have it on file somewhere.  Perhaps someone in the Town Clerks office can assist.  Just a couple of ideas.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

kayakerski

• OWF Model: E-1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »

Yeah, How old is your house? If it's fairly new there may be a map around showing it's location. I would ask neighbors or past owners first and then see what maps might be filed wherever your deed is filed.

Is your property line on that side of the house fairly close? How about your septic tank? A well usually needs to be at least 100' feet away, at least here in NY (Not that it won't be closer, especially in an older home).

Maybe it's time for a metal detector or dowsing rods.

Gregg
New Holland T1520 w/loader
Jonsered 2159
Husky 41, 435

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »

Wow, you folks up in the northeast file everything and the govt even knows where u drink, wow weeee.

That would never fly down here, I'm glad that it don't, but a lot of homes down here have wells that are actually part of the kitchen and home, so the well comes up inside the home, I bet those nosey northeastern govts would love that
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »

The house was my grandfathers but he passed away a few yrs back and my grandmother dont have a clue where it is at. The house was built in 1901. The septic is on the complete opposite side of the house.... I was told it should be easy to find. If there is one pipe coming threw the basement that usually means its a shallow well which wouldn't leave the well cap buried far down. If it has 2 pipes its a deep well. This correct???
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

uncle Dave

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 180
  • wood is the only way to get warm!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »

I have 2 houses with wells located within 10ft of the structure, both are about 65ft deep, one is submersible. Around here, SE Indiana, if the the PO can't tell you where it is your pretty much your own, these well were all driven before city water came along in the 60's. There should be some above ground indication, don't be suprised that a concrete pad is on top of the line, after diggin for a number of days, I finally found a septic under a 27ft above ground pool. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Hardy H4, first fire 11/06,  26 ton spliter, Stihl MS290, Stihl 029 17acre hillside wood lot, locust,hickory, ash, maple, deer, coyotes.

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »

"Usually" a submersible has an above ground cap, that's where they drilled it and dropped the piping and pump in (and take it out for repairs) but there are obviously many ways it can be done. Part of my job is to locate private utilities and an underground locator will follow a metal pipe and many tell depth too, if you know of someone who works with utility stuff near you I would ask before starting to dig with a shovel.

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »

Know anyone who can witch your line for you?
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »

I called my uncle who grew up in the house. Now he said right where the line exits threw my basement is where the well is. There is a faucet outside then a concrete slab. He said its right under that slab. I got down and looked threw the pipe that the actual water line runs threw and it goes about 4ft out of the wall then looks like goes straight up? Could be just the way I was looking at it. He said he was a kid when they replaced that pump so thats how he remembered where it was. But hes unsure how deep it is and all that good stuff. The line dont go straight out either its kind of angled directly towards that slab. I know where my septic is at. That I have to have pumped every 3yrs so we marked it with a concrete cap.
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »

Wow, you folks up in the northeast file everything and the govt even knows where u drink, wow weeee.

That would never fly down here, I'm glad that it don't, but a lot of homes down here have wells that are actually part of the kitchen and home, so the well comes up inside the home, I bet those nosey northeastern govts would love that

I own my late folks house.  For many years the well was under the house (best dang water ever tasted - very cold).  But, it would dry up nearly every summer.  So, we decided that when we had a new heating system installed, to be sure the water was there when it called for it, we decided to have an artesian well dug.  In order to that, we needed to get permits.  We were told it needed to be inspected for safety reason.  I understand safety.  Now, not only did we need permits the plumber, they were needed for the electrical work that was performed.  They previous inspector was a stickler and it took a quite bit to pass inspection, and then, and only then were we able to use the systems we spent a great deal money on. 

The new inspector is someone I grew up with.  When I installed the OWB, I had to get a permit.  After I dug the trench for the Thermopex and electrical, I called him to inform him to set up a time to inspect it.  He told to go ahead and burry everything.  He never inspected it.  When the OWB was connected and ready to flow water, I again called him to let him know that we need to have it inspected.  He told me to fire it up and that he'd stop by on his way home from work (he has to go by my house).  Well, I'm on my 3rd season with my heating system and I'm still waiting for an inspection.  I'm not complaining.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:58:34 PM »

Its always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. More of your government knowing whats best for you.

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »

Its always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. More of your government knowing whats best for you.

Yep same way when I installed my solar.   Our govt is in the way of everything!!!
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »

when i put my lines if for my solar i had to go under the telephone lines. the guy doing the digging had one fo them  rigs you hook a ground on the telophone box and then mark it with the part you hold in you hand as you walk away form the telephone box...you know, it makes a tone as you get close and it gets louder and louder  untill you are moving away from it and then is quiets down..well after he marked where it was he took the wand  and put it right over the  top of the line he had marked, moved the wand sideways till it was on a 45 degree angle (while the tip was still on teh painted line) now he began to move slowly side ways until he got  that tone and then moved a little more till it got loud..as soon as it quieted he marked the ground, measured the distance between the two lines and said that is how far down the line is.....he was right on the money :o
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

kayakerski

• OWF Model: E-1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

Its not as bad as it sounds Scott. At least not in my area. Not everything gets filed but many subdivisions that are newer than about 1960 have filed maps with well/septics shown to make sure there is enough room on a lot for both.

That being said, I'm a land surveyor so the more maps required, the more work for me.

Gregg
New Holland T1520 w/loader
Jonsered 2159
Husky 41, 435

DaveWertz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »

Kaya, Where are you from? I want my land serveyed this spring. Me and another land owner want to swap land but I only found 1 pin. I would like to get pins out so I know what and exactly where my property lines are. I.M me if you can...
2001 F150 7700 series
Stihl Farmboss 290
Pages: [1] 2