Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: new to forum and in market for a heatmaster  (Read 7595 times)

ziprilou

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
new to forum and in market for a heatmaster
« on: November 26, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »

Hello everyone, new to forum from southern Indiana. i want to buy a OWB and been doing some research online and talking to people in this area about OWB. Most of the folks around here have an hardy, but the people on forestryforum seem to like CB. this is the only forum where i see that people also like headmaster. i have a dealer close by for the heatmaster but when i went to see him he adviced against any E series or G series..and said don't waste money on those and just go with a MF5000. i see a lot of posts for the E series and G where people say it uses less wood and is a lot more efficient than the regular furnaces.. so kinda confused. The closest CB dealer is 50 miles away so maybe ill have to go see him to see what he gotta offer. Im heating a 40yr old brick house with decent insulation about  2800sq.ft and a outside metal barn 1000sq.ft. any inputs and help will be greatly appreciated..or i'll just go to a different headmaster dealer and see what he has to say about the E and G series.
thanks for the long post
 zipri

duke

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF5000
    • View Profile
Re: new to forum and in market for a heatmaster
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:16 PM »

I'm on my 4th year with my mf5000, and love it. The gasification units seem to need more TLC than conventional ones from what I've read on here as far as keeping tubes cleaned. But they may be more efficient. I work 12 hour shifts, and on days I work I'm gone from my stove for 14 Hrs. I come home stir coal bed around a bit then load more wood and done. I'll do that for 4-5 days then dump ash pan. They're are a few other guys on here that can give you more info on e and g units, I'm sure they'll chime in soon.
06 Duramax
08 Polaris Ranger XP
MS 310
28 ton Swisher

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:23:51 AM »

Mr. Ziprilou, just as a note, ALL gassers require more TLC than conventional units.  That being said, when I was in the market myself, there were 2 Heatmaster dealers that did not recommend Heatmasters Gasser units.  However, they just came out with a new design on their G series, and I think these guys are singing a different tune!

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=3901.0

Being from Indiana, you will not be able to legally purchase a conventional stove.  Indiana is a Phase II state.  I live in southern Indiana as well, but my demand was so large that I qualified for a "commercial" sized unit which "allowed" me to legally purchase a conventional style.  I am heating 3,000 sft house with terrible insulation, a water heater, hot tub, garage, and possibly the pool in the future, and that called for an MF10,000E.  Sounds like you would be on the cusp of the 5,000 and could stretch into the 10,000 if you really wanted to get a conventional. 

I really didn't want a gasser unit for a few reasons.  First, I don't have a lot of storage space to stockpile wood and let it season for more than 1 year.  I have enough storage for 1 year worth of wood.  I cut this winter and burn next.  From what I learned, that isn't quite enough to get the moisture content down enough for a gasser.  Second, I don't mind using "more" wood.  Third, I like how simple the conventional are. 

Well, I think that's enough for this post.  There are lots of Heatmaster guys on here, but not many with the G series.  Scott and Yoder will likely chime in on the new G series.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:01:25 AM »

I was wondering the same thing, I thought Indiana has adopted the new EPA standards. The new G series is vastly improved, I would have no problem buying one to use for the next 20 years. The e models are more efficient and is predominately what I sell. Less and less people are going with traditional furnaces because really who wants to cut 25% to 50% more wood? When you are deciding to make a large long term investment I think you should buy what works best for your application. And what normally works best is something that burns less wood!  ;D
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

ziprilou

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:49:06 AM »

Thanks guys for all the replies..btw i live in harrison county in southern indiana on 8 acres in which 3 acres are wooded. all the reading and the talks stir more questions than answers.I might have not searched properly on this websites but we should have a link to the EPA regulations for all the states so for a newbie like me it would be put in layman's language. Also as in indiana we have adopted EPA phase II standards then how can the dealers sell the furnaces which are not phase II certified?. as per this list http://www.epa.gov//owhhlist.html only the G100 and the G200 are qualified under phase II and my dealer doesn't even recommend these.

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:55 AM »

That's what sucks about being an EPA Phase II state.  Our freedom and liberty to choose has been quashed.  BTW, I sent you a private message on some of these issues.  There are other manufactures that make quality gassers.  Several guys on here are happy with their Central E-Classics, the Portage and Main gassers get good reviews on here.  When I was considering gassers, I think I was all but sold on the Empyre gassers.  I like stainless steel.

Anyway, keep reading, researching, and don't lose hope.  OWB is a fantastic way to heat your house.  Feel free to fire away those questions.  A
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »

I have no idea why a dealer would be selling a conventional furnace in Indiana. Guess that would be a good question for that dealer.

Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

CountryBoyJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »

The only way a dealer can sell a conventional stove in Indiana, legally, is if he had it in his inventory prior to the state passing the regulations, which was May 18, 2011.   The only other way is if it is a stove that generates more than 350,000 BTU.  Indiana residents can purchase used stoves of any kind.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
Knox County, IN

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »

Good information Country Boy, I wasn't sure the exact regs.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

kybaseball

• OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »

Welcome to the forum!! I have the e series and love it. My stove does very well on wood. Since the cold weather has set in I have been loading it about 3/4 way full and that last 24 hours. I have a big old house and can keep it what ever temp I want.

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »

Most dealers across the industry are scared of gasifiers and dont want to sell them, its a learning curve beyond a box u throw wood in and most are unwilling to try

if you were purchasing an outdoor wood furnace under 350k btu and there was a loop hole for a used boiler that would def open up options for demo units I would think.  But for a dealer in indiana to be stocking stoves he cant legally sell is odd

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »

The e-series definately uses less wood but it's up to you whether you think it's worth the extra grand
http://heatmasterwoodboilers.webs.com
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:56:05 PM by koehndk »