Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: firebox door seal/gasket  (Read 4408 times)

Smeegs

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: 250 optimizer
    • View Profile
firebox door seal/gasket
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »

Has any one changed their firebox door gasket? Size of fiberglass rope 3/4"? Can you change it right on the furnace without removing the door while the furnace is at a idle or is a complete shutdown required? I would like to clean and change the gasket while the furnace is at an idle so I do not have to have a complete restart, will the high heat affect the gasket cement before it drys or will it bond the gasket to the door chime?

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: firebox door seal/gasket
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »

Slimjim will chime in on this one, I guess they have a new silicone gasket that works pretty good.
Western Maine

randy_1

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:47:06 PM »

Coolidge is correct they have a new silicon rope gasket i got some when slim installed my stove this summer I haven't changed mine yet I'm running the old style till it gives out, so far so good, but I anticipate it will have to be done this spring.. Knock on wood... The 250 is awesome so far...
Kubota L 3300

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:51:06 PM »

Contact Brian for some new silicone coated gasket, 130 inches, use it to replace both front door gaskets, no need to shut  the boiler completely down but let the wood level burn down so you don't need  to deal with a rageing fire, pull the old gasket out with a screwdriver then run a 1/4 inch bead of high temp silicone around the door and push the gasket in, seal both ends with the silicone and you are done. Brians # is 800 561 0700
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

jrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:38:35 AM »

I called P&M a while back about getting a new rope gasket and was told to run a bead of high temp silicone on top of the existing gasket to save on buying a new one.  I haven't done anything with this yet but would like to.  Does this sound right?

jreimer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:46:24 AM »

That's what I did over the summer and it seems to be working well so far.
Shindaiwa 488
GMC Duramax 2500HD
Homemade splitter
Portage and Main Optimizer 250
Kubota B7500 w/loader
An understanding wife

Smeegs

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 250 optimizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »

I tried the High Temp silicone over the old gasket , applied a generous amount so that that silicone was level with the door chime, smoothed it out with a small putty knife, let it set up for an hour ,then applied baking parchment paper over the silicone in a narrow strip making sure the paper overlapped the silicone a inch on each side, closed the door and fired up the furnace with enough wood for the day and letter run, so far no leaks. This summer I am going to repeat the process but I am not going to close the door until the silicone has cured for a few days , I think that will produce the best gasket.