Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Metallic Smell  (Read 2143 times)

lasasj

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
Metallic Smell
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:06:44 AM »

CB EClassic 1450 has been running for a few months now.  Every once in a while the exhaust will have a metallic smell to it.  It smells very similar to the barrel of a rifle after being shot.  It seems to do it when it's running a little hot (190's).   Not sure if it's still being broken in or if I'm cooking/warping something I shouldn't be.  No issues or other problems with the unit.  I did bump the temp set point up a few degrees.  I'm considering dropping it back down to 185...

Anyone else experience this phenomena?

Thanks,

J

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Metallic Smell
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:29:51 AM »

CB EClassic 1450 has been running for a few months now.  Every once in a while the exhaust will have a metallic smell to it.  It smells very similar to the barrel of a rifle after being shot.  It seems to do it when it's running a little hot (190's).   Not sure if it's still being broken in or if I'm cooking/warping something I shouldn't be.  No issues or other problems with the unit.  I did bump the temp set point up a few degrees.  I'm considering dropping it back down to 185...

Anyone else experience this phenomena?

Thanks,

J

lasasj - Welcome to the forum. 

Can you feel any hot spots from the outside of the OWB; i.e. chimney feel hot, outside skin feel hot, etc...?  I don't have the 1450, I have the 1400 but my high set-point is 190 and low set-point is 185 and all seems to be okay regarding temps.  I have another issue due to waiting to long to clear the primary air holes of creosote build up.  See my response to Ohiowood.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

lasasj

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 1450
    • View Profile
Re: Metallic Smell
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »

I haven't noticed any hot spots on the outside.  Every time I've felt the outside it's been relatively cold (snow stays on the roof too).  I'll take a closer look when I'm home and check the entire outside to make sure there's no isolated areas.  The smell comes from the smoke (or lack thereof), and I can smell it 50 feet away downstream of the chimney but not up close.  It's not constant either... just periodically.  I maybe notice it once a week when it's running very efficiently. 

I'm curious if you or anyone else has noticed it. 

Read your other posts.  I routinely check the air holes, but I'll give them another, more close look.  I have yet to have any creosote issues; it seems like the build up doesn't reach the holes before being burned off.  I've had an issue with my coals being too deep and suffocating the primary chamber from the secondary chamber.  After multiple fire-outs, I ended up shoveling old coals out and haven't had a problem since I learned that lesson a month or two ago. 

Lesson is:  -know when to fill the fire.  If you fill too frequently, coals get too high.  If you don't fill enough, not enough coals.  Also depends on type/MC of wood, outside temp..etc. 

I'll post back if I find anything more tonight.  Thanks Roger.

J