Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Northern IL Propane - $4.69/Gal today - YIKES !!  (Read 5488 times)

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
Northern IL Propane - $4.69/Gal today - YIKES !!
« on: January 24, 2014, 04:03:46 PM »

Up $.90 today alone again to $4.69gal.

Better be glad your burning wood.
With this Fuel shortage and all, I may just pay this unit off this year in the savings.
To fill my tanks it would be close to 2K, and sometimes in the pat I did that Monthly this time of year.

http://www.npr.org/2014/01/22/264742837/punishing-winter-temperatures-drain-propane-supplies
HeatMaster 10,000E

andyhowardcity

• View Profile
Re: Northern IL Propane - $4.69/Gal today - YIKES !!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »

I just have to say slimjim warned us about this and I am thankful he did!!! My co-workers on propane have there heat set at 60
Timberwolf 5000 (Installed 9/2013)
Sidearm heat exchanger (in process of being installed)
20 cords of hardwood and 10 of soft ready to go :)
Stihl MS 362
Fiskars X27

merrellroofing

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 05:35:45 PM »

My MIL just got a fill for $1100 and that was at 2.97.  Heard 4.66 now. That would suck cause my house won't hold 70 with today's wind. Fan hasn't shut off all day. 

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 05:55:49 PM »

been heating the shop with propane until 3 weeks ago, Englander 2500 has been cooking since, keeps the place around 70. 1200 sq ft with 14 ft walls and open to the peek
Western Maine

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »

Man those prices are crazy….Someday we will be like the UK..$8-10 dollars a gallon.. We still have it pretty cheap compared to the rest of the world..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Speed

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:19:35 PM »

I saw something on another forum today, they said $4.99/gal in IL with a 200 gal limit. I can't even imagine having to pay that. I really feel for people that are on a tight budget already. The McMansion crowd with the huge houses, eh, not so much. They built to impress, they can throw that "impressive" bill out there at the Superbowl for their friends.

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:55:07 PM »

I paid $2.19/gal two weeks ago. 

ST98

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 04:18:35 AM »

Here in Pa they've slowed down putting fracking wells in due to low demand.  What's involved in changing natural gas to propane? 

ijon

• OWF Brand: Portage and main
  • OWF Model: 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 05:21:42 AM »

Man those prices are crazy….Someday we will be like the UK..$8-10 dollars a gallon.. We still have it pretty cheap compared to the rest of the world..
That is what they want you to think. Same with gas for auto.
installed in 2014

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 05:50:50 AM »

I communicate weekly with a sales rep from northern Ill and he has to keep his house at 60 degrees due to the high price of propane.  He said he has no idea how he'll heat his house if the prices continues to climb.  I told him about my system and said he looked into it but the housing development won't allow him to install one due to it being unsightly.  The next time I talk to him, I'll mention the Garn heating units.  They are a wood burning device that needs to be in a "heated" structure.  Essentially it will be hidden from view.  Maybe he can work out a deal with his neighbors and pitch in to buy one (pricey over $15,000.00) to heat multiple dwellings.  I can remember when I was a kid when money was tight we would all gather on the sofa with blankets around legs and feet and heavy sweaters on the upper body to stay warm while watching TV.  None of the bedrooms were heated.  Believe me, you didn't fiddle around getting ready for bed at night and getting dressed in the morning to go to school.  Perhaps that's why I find the 70 degrees I keep my house during the winter months so comfortable.     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Speed

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 06:27:59 AM »

Roger, I know that climb out of bed speed race all to well! I grew up in the old farm house my dad was born and raised in, when Grandpa heated with fuel oil it wasn't so bad. There was an oil stove that fed a chimney and grate right through the bed rooms. Well, Dad didn't run that oil stove until it was below zero with a brisk wind. We ran a wood stove in the kitchen that kept the downstairs nice and toasty, but I could freeze a glass of water overnight in my bedroom! It was good sleeping in the cold, but man, you didn't want to get up. I'd lay there and get my courage built up, then throw the covers off and FLY down those stairs to the kitchen where my clothes were waiting on a chair by the wood stove! I don't know if I'm messed up in the head, but I miss those days.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »

I just have to say slimjim warned us about this and I am thankful he did!!! My co-workers on propane have there heat set at 60
  You have no idea how many times I've heard people at the shows tell me that they will simply turn up the round thingy on the wall before they will burn wood, propane, natural gas, pellets,oil they are all the same, you can't control the cost of it and you can't make it yourself.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 10:11:16 AM »

Roger, I know that climb out of bed speed race all to well! I grew up in the old farm house my dad was born and raised in, when Grandpa heated with fuel oil it wasn't so bad. There was an oil stove that fed a chimney and grate right through the bed rooms. Well, Dad didn't run that oil stove until it was below zero with a brisk wind. We ran a wood stove in the kitchen that kept the downstairs nice and toasty, but I could freeze a glass of water overnight in my bedroom! It was good sleeping in the cold, but man, you didn't want to get up. I'd lay there and get my courage built up, then throw the covers off and FLY down those stairs to the kitchen where my clothes were waiting on a chair by the wood stove! I don't know if I'm messed up in the head, but I miss those days.

Speed - I hated it when mom would go around to the bedrooms to wake us up for breakfast.  Man, just thinking about getting out from under those covers and into very cold air...  Believe it or not, I think we were healthier back then too.  I don't know if it's because we slept in a cold bed room or we simply had to work our butts off for the firewood.  I grew in old farmhouse (I own it now - my folks place) and that thing was drafty.  Everytime the wind blew the curtains would move a good 6 plus inch away from the window.    We had 2 wood stoves; 1 in the kitchen (pancakes on that thing was out of this world) and another one in the living room.  That's all that got heat was those 2 rooms and it was a 9 room house.  I guess that's where I learned at a young age the fine art of thawing frozen water pipes without cracking them.  Oh man, the memories...  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:25 AM »

You cant touch a garn for 15000.  By the time install is done and insulated youll be closer to 20-24k on the small one

He could place one of the ul listed empyre elite or heat master indoor units in his garage easily.  They have been ul listed for indoor installations too

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

free heat

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: ridgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »

$4.59 here is central Wisconsin 200 gallon min, and customers must pay up front. I have a feeling many frozen pipes coming in the next few days.
Ridgewood 6000
Stihl 039, 290
Fiskars x27
Pages: [1] 2