Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Buy a used owb?  (Read 1988 times)

concordprof

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 4030
    • View Profile
Buy a used owb?
« on: March 04, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »

Would you purchase a used owb?  Why/why not?

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Buy a used owb?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:35:32 PM »

It has to be a rare situation to where I feel safe accepting one on trade, I almost have to feel as if I have to know it or know how the guy takes care of his equipment

There can be hidden damage done with guys running to cold or no water treatment etc that might not show up at first but will later
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:42:55 PM »

A thorough inspection and knowledge of OWB's and about the model in question and I wouldn't hesitate. Checking sediment if any on bottom and using an inspection camera inside the jacket . Looking at the rest of the iron on the property /yard to see how they take care of the rest of their valuables. Pressure or water test at operating temp, warp metal areas. Getting a very good price since your taking the risk.
Sediment is the big one for me, it sludges up and takes a pretty good jet of water to flush out. A simple draining doesn't get it for the ones having problems. If any part of the deal isn't right on, there's always more to look at. I don't regret missing one cuz the price was too high, most times a better deal comes along.  If you don't have the knowledge or mechanical ability , it is cheaper to just buy new unless you get lucky. And I wouldn't recommend gambling with this size investment. Good luck either way
Michigan Thumber

ITO

• OWF Brand: HS1
  • OWF Model: 555
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 06:55:13 AM »

A huge plus would be to find one that is still in operation.

jtepn87

• OWF Brand: Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 07:32:27 AM »

Knowing why they are selling makes a difference as well. Is there something wrong with it? Is it too small for the intended application, or do they just not want to burn wood anymore?

cantoo

• OWF Brand: Western Pacific
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »

I bought used and one that was made by a company that was out of business. No air test, no running stove, just a unit sitting in a snow bank. I bought a indoor furnace off the guy and seen it sitting there, he had a new polar bear installed and wasn't really interested in selling this Western Pacific one. I asked him what he needed to get out of it and we ended up making a deal. I think I got a good price but I also think I got lucky. I did replace the aquastat, fan and solenoid. If you are handy I would take a risk at the right(cheap) price, if you aren't then buy new and the payback will be a little longer but you will sleep better at night.