Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: What's even more important...  (Read 2420 times)

TheCrier

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
What's even more important...
« on: September 19, 2010, 08:03:36 AM »

.... is the efficiency of the space you are trying to heat.

I see folks post about the square footage they are heating, the amount of cords they consume per week, and how the claims of the boiler manufacturers are out to lunch..... and I say: Who cares?

I mean, if the space you are heating is as efficient as if it had a 20' hole in the roof, does it really matter?

When I hear guys saying they will burn 12-18 cords of hard wood this winter (and seem happy about it), it blows me away. i couldn't fathom even thinking about burning that amount of wood. Last year in my air tight, I heated my entire 2691sf high efficiency home with just over 4 cords. That was burning softwood in western Canada, burning 24/7 and running my LifeBreath system at least 12 hours a day in -30 weather.

Yesterday I spent the day with a couple helpers insulating my new building. I personally inspected and remediated every area that had the possibility for heat loss. I spent more time and money where it counts..... in the design, construction techniques, building material .....to gain the most efficient building in respect to how much time and effort it will take to heat it.

If the building that is being heated is efficent, maybe the OWB manufacturers claims are more closer to the truth?

I will soon see.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: What's even more important...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:43:43 AM »

Looks like your doing a good job..  Have you ever considered spray foam insulation in those walls?  It will give you a higher r value than the fibergllass bat.  Plus gives you a vapor barrier.

One of the easiest to install and helpful insulation I have found is a material called prodex.  You can wrap your house with it, put it under your metal roofing, or many other things.  It's a really good proudct and it's only about 5mm thick and gives a r value of 15.8.  It has a 99.7% vapor barrier and is highly reflective.  It's around 200 dollars for a roll that is 700sq ft.   Well worth it in my opinion.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:46:23 AM »

A second thought...   Yes, very few people know much about how to properly insulate a home.  Most home builders really don't have a clue either.  They just make your home up to code and your led to beleive thats Grreeat!  When in reality with some time and effort you can make your home much much better than what building codes call for. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »

If I were building a new home right now, it would be built out of SIPs and ICFs.  They provide the most efficient home available.

TheCrier

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 07:30:36 PM »

Looks like your doing a good job..  Have you ever considered spray foam insulation in those walls?  It will give you a higher r value than the fibergllass bat.  Plus gives you a vapor barrier.

One of the easiest to install and helpful insulation I have found is a material called prodex.  You can wrap your house with it, put it under your metal roofing, or many other things.  It's a really good proudct and it's only about 5mm thick and gives a r value of 15.8.  It has a 99.7% vapor barrier and is highly reflective.  It's around 200 dollars for a roll that is 700sq ft.   Well worth it in my opinion.

The home I currently reside in is a NASCOR R 2000 home which is very efficient. The building in the photo above is of my two story garage .....and the second building which framing starts tomorrow, is my studio/office. I went with batt insulation in theses buildings for two reasons....the cost and being able to do the insulating myself. Air tight R24 walls and a R 44 vaulted attic space should keep things toasty and efficient. Also the fact that i am completely treed in with no wind, the exterior wrapped in TYvek and select tight knot cedar siding, it should make the difference in how much wood I use.

My cedar overhead doors which are being installed tomorrow are suppose to be R 12 which I highly doubt. The glass on the top panels from what I've read are only single pane.  :-[