Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Heatmaster G200 Owner  (Read 16428 times)

Smokeless

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster ss.
  • OWF Model: G-100, 200,400
    • View Profile
    • PCWoodBoilerSystems
Re: New Heatmaster G200 Owner
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 05:32:05 PM »

Hello.
New to the forum, I wanted to do a review for the people on the forum also for readers that r just cruising threw looking for good info.
   I purchased a HeatMaster ss G-200 back in August. After doing a lot of research on many different brands that are out there. Looking at all materials used in the different units and how they hold up. I learned that mild steel, boiler plate, 304 stainless steel, cast iron, are not the materials that are the best. They all have problems with heat transfer, cracking, water leaks, rapid corrosion. The 409 stainless steal overcomes all that.
 After seeing one in operation at the Boonville NY logging show. I was impressed with the quality and amount of stainless that is used in the units.I purchased one that was at the show. and the dealer delivered it on his way home. Thank you Bob.
  I removed my old marathon boiler which was way to small for my house and garage that I added. I Installed the G-200 in a few days it was up n running.
With dual inlet and outlet ports it was easy hookup, one set to house one set to garage.
Fired it up pretty easy to do with the blower on,smoked a little until it started to gasify then it  cleared up and just heat waves out the stack. I burned pine until mid November with no problems and plenty of heat on the cold nights. Switching over to hardwood in November. It has been warmer this winter than last. I have been getting about 20hour burn time on the wood, just heating the house on a 28*F nights.
HeatMaster made it easy to clean the heat exchanger  tubes with the external handle. And the smoke bypass pulls the smoke away from you  while you are loading. Easy ash removal on bottom less than a minute to do, maybe twice a month.
 I am very happy with this unit and the support I have received not only from the dealer  and distributor   Slimjim but at the factory level also. They all will answer the phone and return your calls.
Thank you HeatMaster ss for building a quality outside wood furnace.
   Best regards ,  smokeless.

Sent from my iPhone
Signature:
JD 401-c /Honda300atv/CAT 922-B/twofarmallCubs/2135 diesel Massey/8 chain saws/JMSloader/ 2017 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD
HeatMaster/Logstor  dealer for North east area NY VT NH MASS. Sales, installations, troubleshooting of hydronic systems and gasification issues.  Saratoga co, NY

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 10:53:37 PM »

Hello.
New to the forum, I wanted to do a review for the people on the forum also for readers that r just cruising threw looking for good info.
   I purchased a HeatMaster ss G-200 back in August. After doing a lot of research on many different brands that are out there. Looking at all materials used in the different units and how they hold up. I learned that mild steel, boiler plate, 304 stainless steel, cast iron, are not the materials that are the best. They all have problems with heat transfer, cracking, water leaks, rapid corrosion. The 409 stainless steal overcomes all that.
 After seeing one in operation at the Boonville NY logging show. I was impressed with the quality and amount of stainless that is used in the units.I purchased one that was at the show. and the dealer delivered it on his way home. Thank you Bob.
  I removed my old marathon boiler which was way to small for my house and garage that I added. I Installed the G-200 in a few days it was up n running.
With dual inlet and outlet ports it was easy hookup, one set to house one set to garage.
Fired it up pretty easy to do with the blower on,smoked a little until it started to gasify then it  cleared up and just heat waves out the stack. I burned pine until mid November with no problems and plenty of heat on the cold nights. Switching over to hardwood in November. It has been warmer this winter than last. I have been getting about 20hour burn time on the wood, just heating the house on a 28*F nights.
HeatMaster made it easy to clean the heat exchanger  tubes with the external handle. And the smoke bypass pulls the smoke away from you  while you are loading. Easy ash removal on bottom less than a minute to do, maybe twice a month.
 I am very happy with this unit and the support I have received not only from the dealer  and distributor   Slimjim but at the factory level also. They all will answer the phone and return your calls.
Thank you HeatMaster ss for building a quality outside wood furnace.
   Best regards ,  smokeless.

Sent from my iPhone

:post:
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2015, 03:59:40 AM »

It's been a long time coming to get you on here smokeless, Welcome Aboard and ThankYou for the great review.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »

My G200 was installed a couple of months ago (mid-September).  My experience so far, however, has not been quite as straightforward as others would appear to have been.
Lots of smoke, daily re-lights, substantial (?) fuel consumption and, it seems inevitably, the damper running throughout the night (under our bedroom window) until cold start temp is reached.
The temperatures here (NC) have remained quite warm so conditions are far from ideal to evaluate the G200 performance.  My lack of experience with OWFs is another major factor although I understand these G models are quite different from traditional systems. Apparent senility may also be something of a hindrance  ::) . That said, despite being told "everything will be fine when it gets really cold!", I am still seriously struggling - and failing - to understand how to optimize this equipment and its burn cycle.
To date, I have burned through 1.5 cords of kiln-dried hardwood, the energy from which has largely, ultimately, been wasted - mostly due to my own inability to clearly think through that cycle.

Has any one developed any kind of optimization models for these devices under varying ambient conditions?
Like: how long does it take to get from 74 F to 180 F when it's 35 F outside?  how much fuel does that take? how long to cool down from 180 F- 160 F when its 45 F outside - or to get down to cold start when its 65 F, etc...  helping figure out when to light the fire, with how many sticks of wood, so that the water temp is still reasonable in the morning, the damper hasn't run all night ...and so on?

The more I think about it, the more variables I find need to be built in to the model. So, if I have to build my own, it would be nice to not have to start entirely from scratch?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Have you contacted your local dealer yet?

First thing on some of your questions a lot of variables have to be taken into account. What size house, what temp are you trying to keep the house, quality of insulation and windows, what type of underground pipe, what kind of hardwood, and so on.

Whats the actual moisture of your wood? To get the best reading really need to split a piece and check a fresh face.

I’ll PM you my cell and we can talk if your still having problems.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »

Marty, if you do have a chance to speak with him in person, Please let us know the outcome as his experience could prove to invaluable to others suffering from like experiences, can you get him approved to post ASAP?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »

Marty, if you do have a chance to speak with him in person, Please let us know the outcome as his experience could prove to invaluable to others suffering from like experiences, can you get him approved to post ASAP?

Already have my friend, I bumped his post count up to 11 so he can post at will.

A work around found by the Slopster.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 01:21:49 PM »

Yes he called me yesterday and told me about the loophole that he found, Thank you both for your hard work!

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 04:18:57 AM »

Watkincm, I sent you a PM with my contact info, I'm not sure how often you are on here but rather than trying to muddle through your issues on your own, Please allow us to help, you should now be able to post on your own and we will be watching, feel free to give me a call as well if you wish.

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2015, 02:47:23 PM »

Watkincm, I'm not sure how far you have come in your troubleshooting of your G Series but hopefully Marty and Richard have been able to help you identify your problem.  One thing came to mind when you said that the blower runs throughout the night and the unit smokes a lot..  The next time the boiler calls for heat and the blower kicks on, take the cover off of the damper and ensure that it is rotating all the way to the open position.  It is possible that the damper is not rotating enough during a cycle which would not allow the furnace to fully gasify and would cause it to run longer each time to reach the 180 deg. set point especially while it's under a load.  How much area are you heating with your unit? 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 10:20:42 PM »

Watkincm, I'm not sure how far you have come in your troubleshooting of your G Series but hopefully Marty and Richard have been able to help you identify your problem.  One thing came to mind when you said that the blower runs throughout the night and the unit smokes a lot..  The next time the boiler calls for heat and the blower kicks on, take the cover off of the damper and ensure that it is rotating all the way to the open position.  It is possible that the damper is not rotating enough during a cycle which would not allow the furnace to fully gasify and would cause it to run longer each time to reach the 180 deg. set point especially while it's under a load.  How much area are you heating with your unit?

:post:

I would definitely check your damper. Undo the cover on the front of the stove with the snap latch, set the cover off to the side, then grab the round disc (the damper) with a finger and your thumb and see if you can rotate it slightly in each direction, if you can’t move it not only may it not be opening all the way, but it also might not be closing all the way which can greatly add to your creosote problem.

The third morning I had my G400 running I woke up to see a little smoke coming out of the stack even though it wasn’t calling for heat, the damper wasn’t closed all the way but I could still move the plate. Turns out the shaft that runs thru the damper motor and turns the plate was inserted too far into the damper motor and was bottoming out in the recess the end of the shaft fits in on the stove itself. I loosened the lock bolt on the damper itself that takes a 10mm wrench and slid it out not even a 1/16” of an inch and that was the end of the problem. To be fair though, my 400 was also the demonstration stove at a dealer meeting and it was gone over numerous times thru the day and maybe something got moved or tweaked different than it came from the factory.

I’ve also found if you remove the two quarter inch bolts that take a 7/16” wrench that holds the damper motor on to clean your damper when reinstalling tighten the bolts finger tight then you can still move the damper motor around a fraction of a inch in either direction, move it round till it feels like that shaft is centered in the recess then retighten the two bolts, if slid all the way in one direction then retightened I think this could also cause the shaft to bind. Like I said, I think it could, it’s only happened once and never did it again.

Another thing I did with more was after the damper stuck open the damper itself (the round disc with two tapered slots cut in it) was creosoted up and its mating surface on the stove, I simply used my pocket knife to scrape it off, then lightly hit it with a scotchbrite pad then sprayed both surfaces with Fluid Film and in a moon it still moves as free as when I serviced it over a month ago. Fluid Film is hard to beat, is like WD40, PBlaster, Never Seize and cosmoline all in the same can.

Given your area as well until winter actually starts you may have to do like Garn users or European users of gasifiers do and learn to batch burn.

Not exactly what you’ll have, but an interesting read regardless.

http://www.lowcarboneconomy.com/profile/eco_angus_ltd/_case_studies_and_projects/case_study_of_a_wood_gasification_log_boiler_in_a_6_bedroom_house_in_wrington_north_somerset/14404
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »

I wish that poster would come back so that we could handle his issues.

On another note I have looked at this Seimens Logo control stuff a little bit. It seems like it has a lot of capabilities. I wish that it could take input from a thermocouple so that we could see what the reaction chamber temps were running at. I also wish that they had placed a PT100 sensor above the heat exchanger tubes so that we could know what temps were exiting. I think that the PT sensor about the exchanger tubes could be done without much modifications. Anyone know how to connect the PT sensor into the Controller and have it read out?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 07:45:04 PM »

I wish that poster would come back so that we could handle his issues.

On another note I have looked at this Seimens Logo control stuff a little bit. It seems like it has a lot of capabilities. I wish that it could take input from a thermocouple so that we could see what the reaction chamber temps were running at. I also wish that they had placed a PT100 sensor above the heat exchanger tubes so that we could know what temps were exiting. I think that the PT sensor about the exchanger tubes could be done without much modifications. Anyone know how to connect the PT sensor into the Controller and have it read out?

I’ve thought the same, but was going to use a different monitor with wifi capabilities so I could eventually link all data in real time to a web page.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 08:05:46 PM »

Well I have been using the UBNT Mport wifi monitor in the house. I have a current sensor on the Forced Hot Air blower motor so it charts when my blower in the house runs and I put a PT100 sensor in one of the two thermowells in my Primary Loop right after my flat plate heat exchanger so that I can see the boiler temps charted. It has been working great. Now I can monitor the boiler temps while I am at work. I can also tell by the chart when it is running out of wood since it takes longer then usual to do a burn cycle. I have found that my typical burn cycle is 40-50 mins long. I also see how much my boiler temp drops after my forced hot air runs which allowed me to calculate the accurate BTU's that the FHA was giving to the house per min or run time. I am getting about 1010 BTU's per minute of run time on the FHA fan. I was going to put a MPort out on the boiler so that I could see the boiler temps and when the fan ran on the boiler but I am happy with the info I have now. I still would like to just be able to see the reaction chamber temps and the exhaust temps though just read out on the LOGO control.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »

That was something that was mentioned at the dealers meeting, Jake would like to see a view port and temperature monitoring included but that just adds cost to the unit.

Might be worth it for them to offer it as an option in the future.

All the monitoring units I’ve looked into so far, none of them have the capability to monitor the high temps that would be found in the secondary burn chamber.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »

That was something that was mentioned at the dealers meeting, Jake would like to see a view port and temperature monitoring included but that just adds cost to the unit.

Might be worth it for them to offer it as an option in the future.

All the monitoring units I’ve looked into so far, none of them have the capability to monitor the high temps that would be found in the secondary burn chamber.

I might be able to get thermocouples connected to my systems. I am waiting for parts to try it out. If it works, do you want to try one out?
Pages: 1 [2] 3