Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Front or back of box?  (Read 2245 times)

Curado74

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: Mf5000
    • View Profile
Front or back of box?
« on: December 05, 2015, 07:40:23 PM »

Where does your boiler prefer to have the fire?  Front middle or back?  Mine seems to run better if I pull coals to the front?  Anyone else?

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
Re: Front or back of box?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 04:59:09 AM »

If you have a hot burn in front continually you could warp inside door heat shield which is ok to a point. But it could burn a spot in the door inside heat shield. If this happens it is easy to plate with a 1/8 plate but keep main burn back away from door may save your door. MF3000 and MF5000 doors are closer to the grate than Mf10000 and C series and are more prone to inside heat shield warp. But that is what it is there for ,to take the heat off the front of the door and you will rarely see a door warp.So I would suggest to keep the fire back a little if you can. Burn coal towards the rear.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:34:06 AM »

You'll find that it changes as your ash pan fills up.  I keep my stack back from the door about 12"-18" or so.  Now, I have the 10,000, so I have much more room than the 5k.  With the fire at the front of the stove, the heat goes up the flue sooner than if it is at the back.  As your ash pan fills up, it will migrate to the back.  I spread my coals out evenly from font to back and stack the wood evenly too. 
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

kybaseball

• OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 08:07:34 AM »

I agree with CountryBoy. I leave a little ash in there all the time so if forces more air to the back. I try and keep new wood in the back and burnt wood in the middle and ash up front. It really has made a difference in how much wood I use.