Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: CB5036 baffle in chimney  (Read 23998 times)

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
Re: CB5036 baffle in chimney
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »

Is anyone trying the baffle this year?

Ridgekid

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »

My son does in his CL4030. It came with one.

MTJAG has one in his CL5036 and I think he does have his currently installed.

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 04:56:37 PM »

Yes, I have a CB5036 with the baffle in place.  I get a lot of smoke out the door, unless it is right before a burn cycle, otherwise, it seems to draft fine.  The question of whether or not it reduces the consumption of wood is one that I may not be qualified to answer.  According to my dealer, for where I live, if I didn't have it in place, my stove would use about 3 more cords of wood per season, which would equate to about a25-30% reduction in wood consumption.  I will tell you when the temperature is in single digits or lower, that stove will burn twice the wood that it typically burns when the temperature is only down to freezing.  So, if I put in three 20"x9" pieces and about 3 20"x4" pieces when we are 32 degrees at night, it will be fine till mid day the next day.  If the temperature is in single digits with the same load above, it will be out at 6am with nothing but ash and water temp at 160. 
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

woodywoodchucker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »

Well i ordered my baffle today and Im looking forward to some wood savings.

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 04:28:38 PM »

You will be a better judge of whether or not the baffle makes a difference in wood consumption since you have been burning without one.  My guess is that it works.  This is my first year and with temps all over the board, it's hard for me to tell.  One night it will be in the thirties and I have wood  still burning the next evening when it's time to load for the night.  Other times, it's down in the single digits and by the time I get out there at 6am to check on it, it's sucking wind and there is nothing but ash.

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 08:16:34 AM »

Would the restritor not choke the burn a bit makeing it slower?  This would help overshoot, but seems like it would hurt recovery time.  So if you get a big load for an extened time you might have an issue keeping the temperature up.

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 04:02:25 PM »

Would the restritor not choke the burn a bit makeing it slower?  This would help overshoot, but seems like it would hurt recovery time.  So if you get a big load for an extened time you might have an issue keeping the temperature up.

What I have witnessed is that I sometimes overshoot up to around 187 and sometimes recovery is down to 172 with large rounds in there, but generally, I don't notice anything abnormal.  Depending on the outside temperature, when the damper opens at 174, it takes about 20-25 minutes for it to close at 185....make sense?

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »

UPDATE:  Thought I would just actually time the cycle time of my OWB with a stop watch today.  From the time the solenoid opened at 174 degrees to the time it closed at 185 degrees, it took 10 minutes and 4 seconds.  The outside temperature was 41 degrees when I timed it.  It did not undershoot or overshoot the OWB set temperatures.  My OWB was about 1/3 full with partially burnt wood when I timed it.  That is with the baffle in the smokestack.

woodywoodchucker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »

Well I got the restrictor and installed it. $51.00 and used it 2days and removed it. Made my cb5036 a dog, slowing down recovery time in warm weather however it may be better with good wood and more demand    It has been so warm here that the boiler would cycle once there 4hours and then the fire would go out.

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »

Unfortunately, I've not had any warmer weather in over a month.  It's been near or well below freezing here since early November.  Although, during the warmer weather of October, I've never had the fire go completely out with the baffle in place.  Woody, what is your altitude?  I'm at 8600' and that may have something to do with how it works...

woodywoodchucker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 04:22:51 AM »

I'm at about 1000' above sea level.

Ridgekid

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 05:59:44 AM »

I'm at 2000 ft and don't have one. Don't need it.

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »

quite frankly, I don't know if I need one either.  I can't determine if it is using less wood than if I didn't have one since this is my first year.  I will say that it doesn't seem to impact the performance of the 5036.  I've never had a fire go out and the unit seems to function as advertised with the temperature settings without over or under shooting too much.  Clearly on cold nights with temps under zero, it will undershoot a few degrees, but I think that is normal. 

pwdiver

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler since 2009
  • No matter where you go there you are
    • View Profile
    • narronseggstra's
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »

I don't know about the chimney adapter, mine does not have it, i'm at an elevation of 95ft above sea level. My problem is that the door is warped you can see it and also have put a T-square on it the top edge and the right side with door opening arm are both warped.  This is where the rope gasket goes my Solenoid damper has worked fine the surface feel's clean. I have had my CB since Feb 2009 and run it all tear long, in the summer it keeps the hot water heated.  Ive come home and heard it sound like a tea kettle 214deg cranked up heat in house house and had 135deg air coming out.  I wouldnt trade my CB for anything it work's great I just some issue's with the door I hope to get fixed soon. :)
I use a Stihl MS361 saw & MS250 & MS170
New Holland TC30 tractor
powerdiver6000@aol.com

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 07:14:22 PM »

I don't know about the chimney adapter, mine does not have it, i'm at an elevation of 95ft above sea level. My problem is that the door is warped you can see it and also have put a T-square on it the top edge and the right side with door opening arm are both warped.  This is where the rope gasket goes my Solenoid damper has worked fine the surface feel's clean. I have had my CB since Feb 2009 and run it all tear long, in the summer it keeps the hot water heated.  Ive come home and heard it sound like a tea kettle 214deg cranked up heat in house house and had 135deg air coming out.  I wouldnt trade my CB for anything it work's great I just some issue's with the door I hope to get fixed soon. :)

sounds like the warped door needs to be replaced ASAP!  That is going to keep the fire going all the time so aren't you seeing some high temperatures and constantly high burn rates?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4