Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Wood Consumption=1/2 cord  (Read 14027 times)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Consumption=1/2 cord
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 04:34:56 PM »

Ridgekid-
If you cut a piece in half or split it, you will get a much higher reading. Some of my ends were in the 14%-17% range, but much wetter in the middle. My 3.5 cords of oak are going to get another years seasoning, as any piece I've cut and checked has been a minimum of 25%, and as high as 34%, with the average being 30%-31%. Not real proud of myself at this point in the game. The standing white Ash I've been cutting and stock-piling for next year will end up getting partially used up this year. It's mc varies anywhere between 14% and 28%, averaging around 20%-22%.   
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Ridgekid

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »

Plumb bob-

I use the pyramid scheme in front of the door. When that burns down I move those hot ashes back and re-stack again. When the ashes are as high as the beveled bottom, I scoop ashes. Not before getting one more burn out of the cinders. I move all the unburnt cinders back to the front of the door and wait until the next burn is compete. The last time I did this it took an hour to complete the burn.

My pyramid consists of 8-12 pieces, or up to the top of the door opening.

Marty-

I plan to try that this weekend. I'll let you know what I get.

plumb bob

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL 5036
  • still green
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 05:33:06 PM »

Thanks RK
Thats what I tried tonight (trying) and we will see. I think though that Im gonna need to buy some hardwood, $95.00 a logger chord, 12 chord min. we shall see. Thanks again!

MTJAG

• OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2011, 11:47:09 AM »

Plumb bob, this is my first year with a 5036 as well (I got mine last spring).  I usually stack my wood in about a third of the way back, but have loaded it completely in recent days when the temperature was near zero.  I think one of the main things is to stir your ashes daily with the rake and/or hoe.  Generally, I am burning a mix of aspen, pine, and a little fir.  For the most part, I didn't split any of the wood I have, but am now splitting much of it as I burn it.  However, for that reason, my wood is probably still a little high in moisture content(though I cut standing dead timber and my climate here is very dry). 
I have a question for you, did you order your 5036 with the restrictor in the smoke stack?  It is a reducer ring that sits right at the outlet of your stove in the pipe before it turns up. 
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

plumb bob

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: CL 5036
  • still green
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2011, 12:03:39 PM »

Mt.
I dont believe that a restrictor plate is in there, but now I'm gonna have to take a look :bash:

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »

CB doesn't include it in all 5036's, but my dealer suggested that I get one for my location which is an altitude of 8600'.  He indicated that CB suggested it for stoves in Colorado and Montana and the ones with it were saving on wood.  At this point, I can't testify to the fact that it is saving me any wood.

Central_Boiler_3200_Owner

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011, 07:52:30 PM »

I'm a NEW OWNER... cutting wood 36 inches long... why are you cutting at 18"?

Ridgekid

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »

Cuz I'm old! I mean, I have to make sure the wife can stock the OWB. Yeah that's the ticket!

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »

Ridgekid,
Are you loging many more on time hours now that it is getting colder. I thought that your new systen keeps track of the burn times of your CB.
RW
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

Ridgekid

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »

I'm still tracking my wood use and been having trouble setting up the new temp module in pushing emails when I get a burn. I have to open the log and count how many times Relay one closes. In 21 hours it was 8X.

woodywoodchucker

• OWF Brand: cental boiler
  • OWF Model: classic 5036
  • what do I look like, an idiot?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »

If your wood is over 20 '' long you lose alot more up the stack cuz its beyond the plenum that hangs down.I suspected this and a dealer finely confurmed this.

MTJAG

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »

I'm still tracking my wood use and been having trouble setting up the new temp module in pushing emails when I get a burn. I have to open the log and count how many times Relay one closes. In 21 hours it was 8X.

That's a pretty sweet monitoring system you show there in the gallery.  :post:  Man, you are making a science out of this OWB!  That's great cause we all want to know how we can burn less and heat more.  Hey, I also noticed that your temps haven't been down below 30 yet on your graph.  I can tell you when it does, be ready to pile the wood on, cause it's a big difference in consumption once that temp gets down close to zero.  Your Green Dragon gonna get hungry!

Ridgekid

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »

Thanks. FYI- I will update the graphs (Electric and Wood use) on the first of every month and post them in the gallery.  We have actually had a few days in the thirties. Then it gets warm again. My graph looks like the stock market right now. Up and down. 

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 01:29:23 PM »

Welcome to this site. You are the first one on this site who has a 3200 gasser, that I know of anyway. Those things look like monsters(in a good way)! I've only seen one up close and I think I was drooling.
   How are you getting along with it so far, and how many sq. ft. are you heating with it. That furnace is rated to heat more than 15000 sq. ft., isn't it?
   I cut all my wood at 25", as thats the longest piece I can get in my splitter. Also, my new-fangeled automated wood stacking device (my almost ten year old son!) has a hard time lifting them if they are too large, so if I want continued free labor with minimum bellyaching, thats how I'll continue doing it. Most splitters won't split ones much longer than 25".
   Keep us updated on how your 3200 is working for you.
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Ridgekid

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »

FINALLY! I went out and grabbed three pieces off the wood pile and cut them in half to check moisture content.

6" round = 24%
4" wedge - 18%
6" wedge = 22%

So based on the previous post I made about seasoned moisture content I guess I'm ok.

Previous post:
Seasoned Firewood has a moisture content less than 40% that will allow the wood to burn effectively and release the potential BTU's (heat). Wood that has been properly split and stored will promote the evaporation of water. In most areas of the country, especially the Northeast, it will take up to 12 months for split hardwood to be properly seasoned. Wood with more than 40% moisture content should not be burned for home heating. The minimum moisture content for optimal BTU's is no more than 20% to 30% moisture and as low as 10%. Below 10% the wood will burn too quickly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4