Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Wood Consumption=1/2 cord  (Read 14259 times)

Ridgekid

Wood Consumption=1/2 cord
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:13:02 AM »

The first row (1/2 cord) is about gone. Six pieces left. That will get me through until the evening of Nov 9th. Here's how it was consumed so far:

Sept 29-Oct 5=20 pieces
Oct 20-Nov 8=139 pieces

or

26 days of operation = 159 pieces or 1/2 cord

or

6.1 pieces a day

According to my weather station Octobers Average temps (Hi and LO) = 50F. Novembers average has been 47.4F

Note on "pieces"- Average size was 4-6" in diameter.

Of course I expect wood consumption to increase when it gets colder, but at this rate I'm thinking my 8 cord estimate might of been high. Here's what I'm estimating:

Oct-Nov 1 Cord
Dec-Feb 3 Cord
March-April 1 Cord
Total=5 Cord

Only time will tell since this is the first Winter with our OWB. But so far so good!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:01:58 AM by Ridgekid »

muffin

• View Profile
Re: Wood Consumption=1/2 cord
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:56:10 AM »

The first row (1/2 cord) is about gone. Six pieces left. That will get me through until the evening of Nov 9th. Here's how it was consumed so far:

Sept 29-Oct 5=20 pieces
Oct 20-Nov 8=139 pieces

or

26 days of operation = 159 pieces or 1/2 cord

or

6.1 pieces a day

According to my weather station Octobers Average temps (Hi and LO) = 50F. Novembers average has been 47.4F

Note on "pieces"- Average size was 4-6" in diameter.

Of course I expect wood consumption to increase when it gets colder, but at this rate I'm thinking my 8 cord estimate might of been high. Here's what I'm estimating:

Oct-Nov 1 Cord
Dec-Feb 3 Cord
March-April 1 Cord
Total=5 Cord

Only time will tell since this is the first Winter with our OWB. But so far so good!

Curiouse on your estimates.  If you say that your wood is about 4-6" diameter, how long?  I would assume about 18" long so each piece is 1.25 ft^3 assuming 5" square x 18" long to simplify the math.

a cord is 4x4x8 = 128 ft^3
so 159 pieces is ~200 ft^3 which is about 1.5 cords

Did I do something wrong or do you cut your logs really short?  This is about inline with what I am burning too.  I am more towards 2 cord a month myself, but I have the larger 6048 and I am heating a pool.

Ridgekid

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:13:58 AM »

Good point! I guess I should of mentioned the log lengths are 18" long. I have used the same measurements for a cord (4x4x8) when actually my rows are 4'Hx18"Wx10'L. If I multiplied by 2 Would you estimate it yields the same as a full cord?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:29:52 AM by Ridgekid »

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »

Good point! I guess I should of mentioned the log lengths are 18" long. I have used the same measurements for a cord (4x4x8) when actually my rows are 4'Hx18"Wx10'L. If I multiplied by 2 Would you estimate it yields the same as a full cord?

Not sure what you mean by multiply by 2.  Being a volumn measurement, just keep it simple.  Your estimation based on number of pieces of wood is fine as long as they are relatively the same size.  Sounds like the 1.5 cord is more what you just used over those 26 days which is pretty close to a month.  Did you use about 3 rows?

Ridgekid

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »

No just one row.

If you think a row 4'Hx18"Wx10' L is 1.5 cords I'd have to disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong but half a cord is 4x2x8. My row is longer (10')  but narrower (18"). That's why I think it's 1/2 cord consumed. Did I miscalculate?

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »

No just one row.

If you think a row 4'Hx18"Wx10' L is 1.5 cords I'd have to disagree. Correct me if I'm wrong but half a cord is 4x2x8. My row is longer (10')  but narrower (18"). That's why I think it's 1/2 cord consumed. Did I miscalculate?

I found my math error.  One stick of wood is only 0.26ft^3.   This brings us really close to 60ft^3 over the 26 days; or one stack.  That is impressive.  My pool pulls a lot of heat every day.  You may need less than you think if your house is well insulated.  Maybe only 1.5 cord a month when it is reall cold.  This is my first year too, so I am anxiouse to see what happens too.

Ridgekid

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »

Ok that sounds better.

We had a pool*. Took it down the same week we started digging the trench for the thermopex. Sand from under pool was used to partially cover thermopex. We have too much rock in our soil and I wanted to protect the pipe. To further explain how much rock we have, when I back filled the trench minus the rock, we ran out of dirt. Even after using the pool sand.

*= I used a solar blanket, propane heater and homemade solar heater (plastic pipe laid out at a angle towards the sun pumping pool water through) and it worked great. Should of kept it one more year just to try the OWB. Then again, no one was using pool or helping keeping it clean. One less chore for me!

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 11:17:48 AM »

Sounds like my parents old house.  They ahd about 1/2 soil over rock.  They had a pool dug, sort of.  It was supposed to be inground, but about half way through the dozer guy said he would have to use dynomite  to go any deeper.  So it was a 1/2 in, 1/2 out pool.  Turned out nice actually.

My pool is inground and enclosed so it is year round.  It takes about 500K BTUs a day to hold the temp.  Plus I have to heat the room, ~88F for the dehumidifiers since the water is 85.  It would take less, but the ground is so wet it really leaches the heat out.  I cannot seem to dry it out.  Even with 2 sump pumps.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »

How cold does it get there?
I never really kept track of how much wood I used but when it is 10 below zero I would guess I burn 4-5 times as much wood per day as with weather in the 50's.

Ridgekid

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 11:34:36 AM »

This is for Homer City, Pa about 15 miles from my house. So it's close. Our's will be a few degrees cooler due to elevation: (2000 ft)

Expand the drop down menus on this link:

http://www.homefacts.com/weather/Pennsylvania/Indiana-County/Homer-City.html

MTJAG

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL5036
  • CB 5036, Husky 450, Montana 2740 4WD,100% off grid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »

I'm a little late joining the consumption discussion, but want to share my recent experience.  I had been loading about half of my 5036 each day with a little left over from the previous day with temps in the lower 30s at night and mid 50s during the day.  Last week, we had a drop to -2 and mid day temps in the teens and my consumption went to filling the 5036 completely for two days and being left with only a bed of ashes.  I was rocking along nicely since October 5th on a little over a half cord until last week and now I am approaching 2 cords...rapidly.  It has snowed three times in the last 10 days with temps in the upper teens to upper thirties.  I'm starting to wonder if my 13 cords of mostly aspen will stretch into May.

By the way, anybody experience black liquid running out of the door and down the front of your unit after the burn when you filled it to capacity?
"a man is no fool to give up what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose"

Ridgekid

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »

When the snow starts flying you hibernate? Welcome back. Thought you were snowed in!

Could it be the firebox got too cool before you restocked? My leaked once so far but I was down to bare bones when I restocked. Enough to re-ignite, but not enough heat to "dry" out my restocking.

Just a thought.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »

I'm a little late joining the consumption discussion, but want to share my recent experience.  I had been loading about half of my 5036 each day with a little left over from the previous day with temps in the lower 30s at night and mid 50s during the day.  Last week, we had a drop to -2 and mid day temps in the teens and my consumption went to filling the 5036 completely for two days and being left with only a bed of ashes.  I was rocking along nicely since October 5th on a little over a half cord until last week and now I am approaching 2 cords...rapidly.  It has snowed three times in the last 10 days with temps in the upper teens to upper thirties.  I'm starting to wonder if my 13 cords of mostly aspen will stretch into May.

By the way, anybody experience black liquid running out of the door and down the front of your unit after the burn when you filled it to capacity?
If you can, I would try filling it twice a day. It should save some wood if you don't put as much in each time. (allows the fire to burn hotter and cleaner)

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »

MTJAG-
Portage & Main tells us to load twice/day. Our weather has been 30's at night, 40's and 50's during the day, so heat demand has not been great at all. I did cheat and fill mine a little over 2/3 full early last week and it went 48 hours. I've not had any issues with leaking gaskets until I did that. I tightened up the door seal a little and went back to 2x/day and haven't had any issues since.
   Thanks for the reply a while back pertaining to your signature. I've passed it on to many people.

Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »

Sounds like creasote leaking from the door with a high water content in the wood.I was getting lots of the black goo leaking from my stove last year while burning green wood.I have been using more seasoned wood this year and I have had very little creasote in my stove.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: [1] 2 3 4