Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Starting to build !  (Read 12863 times)

newmod

• OWF Brand: HOMEMADE
    • View Profile
Starting to build !
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »

I got all my steel yesterday.  Planning on 30x30x42 firebox.  About 300 gallons water capacity.  Following after a CB that I had previously owned.  Was gonna go round on box and jacket,  maybe on the next one.  I am using 1/4 inch steel.  I got a very good deal on 1/4x48x96 sheets of new steel.

On the CB I owned I had used TACO 009 for house and garage.  I am planning on the same for this one unless people have any downfalls with them.  Should I have the return water come into the lower part of the water jacket, kinda like a water heater.  what type of aquastat should I use.  Going with a natural draft door operated by soleniod.  what other considerations am I missing??????   There will be many pics to follow on my build.  Should be starting on Saturday.   

Alot of good ideas on here.  I was initially gonna use 2 different size propane tanks, but hard to find.  Plus like I said.   I got a good deal on steel..

Newmod

newmod

• View Profile
Re: Starting to build !
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »

ALSO,  Thanks R W Ohio  for letting me come check out yours and your sons furnace.

Newmod

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »

Alright another new build!take lots of pics as you go and post them up.
As far as the return water I'm not all that sir it matters.my stove sucks off the bottom and it work great.plus I never have to worry abouts low water going to the pump that way.I would just try to direct your return water to give a swirling action inside the tank.help the water circle around the firbox.
My uncle runs taco pumps and has went through three in two years.I am running Grundfos and haven't had any trouble.
good luck!
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Airgap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »

Good luck...

We love pics...

Insulate well....

Buy good pipe...

Return in the bottom....

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »

Jackell440 has a good method of heating and mixing his water that makes most burners envious... Laws of physics say bottom return top pump feed for proper stratification. I also agree though, that I wouldn't matter if you have good mixing and movement around the fire box. I have mine fed in the back at the bottom, all the way through in a 1 inch steel pipe to the front, into and up through the water jacket door, and back into the front up top. Works very well but is at the opposite end of the pump draw so it has thorough time to mix and circulate. But I also have a t fitting in the return at the back to direct excess return into the rear of the boiler that is throttle by a ball valve. I cut almost all flow to the door once in an experiment and found out that the entire 400 gallons would boil uncontrollably because it would enter the rear and exit right away and my thermostat was directly between the ports so it only picked up the small amount circulating and read about 140 degrees constantly :bash:

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:13:02 PM »

Peacmar,That was what I was trying to refer to.(I was on my cell phone posting at lunch)I had designed an regular style of wood boiler ,and I had the return lines running to the front of the furnace,but I then had the pipe turned perpindicular to the burn chamber with another 45* nozzle to cause the water to circulate around the burn chamber.
I had also considered an  pump that just recirculated water on the furnace all the time.All kinds of crazy ideas and theorys out there.
To the original poster Just do the one that you think works.Just try to improve on your design as you go. :thumbup:

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 09:40:04 AM »

Industrial boilers normally have the water enter at the top.  Because it is cooler and more dense it "falls" to the bottom and forces hotter less dense water up.  I used this principal of natural circulation when I decided to place the feed inlet about half way up and towards the back of my boiler. A baffle also helps direct the feed downwards.  Because our units are completely forced throughout the boilers I am not sure that natural circulation has any advantage.  I am satisfied with how it performs but I have nothing to compare it with.  I may reroute the feed inlet into the bottom drain and see if there is any difference.
Muskoka, Ont

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 03:54:32 PM »

All kinds of crazy ideas and theorys out there.

To the original poster Just do the one that you think works.Just try to improve on your design as you go. :thumbup:

:thumbup:  X2 :thumbup:

As I and others who have built their own will tell you-

This is only the beginning, plans will change and ideas will grow as you go. Try to plan ahead and know your next step, because you will change your mind ten times before you do it. As the pieces start to come together you will find yourself dreaming about being at home building your burner. You'll wake up in the morning with new ideas and wonder why you thought that was such a great idea the night before. Bust most importantly you'll stand back when its done and say "I did that".

I might suggest looking at many different brand of boilers out there when your not working on it so you can incorporate all the features you like best about them. Each one has its own perks. Sounds like you have a very good platform as a starting basis so have fun with it and make it your own. And oh yeah....
Don't forget pics! ;D

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »

All kinds of crazy ideas and theorys out there.

:thumbup:  X2 :thumbup:

As I and others who have built their own will tell you-

This is only the beginning, plans will change and ideas will grow as you go. Try to plan ahead and know your next step, because you will change your mind ten times before you do it. As the pieces start to come together you will find yourself dreaming about being at home building your burner. You'll wake up in the morning with new ideas and wonder why you thought that was such a great idea the night before. Bust most importantly you'll stand back when its done and say "I did that".

I might suggest looking at many different brand of boilers out there when your not working on it so you can incorporate all the features you like best about them. Each one has its own perks. Sounds like you have a very good platform as a starting basis so have fun with it and make it your own. And oh yeah....
Don't forget pics! ;D
This is exactly What I did every day for like 3 yrs before I built mine!Good advice. :thumbup:
Sounds like tomorrow will be your start so I hope to see some pics when I get home from work! ;)
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

newmod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 05:13:05 AM »

Actually, we got started on everything last night.  Water jacket and firebox are tacked up.  We built the frame for the firebox to sit on.  It kinda like a puzzle, figuring out what to weld next with getting ahead of yourself.

How far below the water line should i put the outlet for the pumps.  I dont want to go to high with them for fear of water running a little low and burning up the pump.

I will get pics up later today.

Newmod

peacmar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 08:44:05 AM »

newmod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »

Having trouble posting pics.  Will try to figure this thing out