Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Squirrel Cage Wiring  (Read 4118 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Squirrel Cage Wiring
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:52:34 AM »

I am currently in the process of getting my garage hooked up to my owb.  The pipe is ran into the garage and I have installed all of the fittings on the stove.  However, I am not educated when it comes to thermostats and wiring the blower motor.  I am going to build my own setup as far as the HX and blower motor are concerned.  But once that is complete I don't know how to wire the blower up correctly. 

Below is a picture of the wires that come off of the blower motor.  The brown wires go to a capacitor (if I remeber right) but I will have to check tonight when I get home.  Then there are the 5 wires that come off of the motor.  Obviously as the picture shows, there is a white, blue, black, red and orange wire.  I would like to set it up so that I can have a switch box to allow for me to change the blower speed by the flip of a switch(s). 

Does anyone know how to wire these 5 wires to my power source or have a diagram that would show how they need to be connected?  Also, do I need some sort of relay panel that my thermostat wires will connect to to go from 24v to 120? There was a post on here a while back that showed a similar setup that I would like to have.  It had a series of 3 or 4 light switches in a box that depending on their positions, would change the fan speed from low, medium low, medium, medium high, high etc.  I found a diagram that I think showes how to do this but my wire colors are different than what is represented in the diagram. 

I'm lost, can someone help me out here?  :bash:  Thanks!

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
Re: Squirrel Cage Wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:16:11 AM »

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=1866.15

I would like to have something like what NewToIt has in this thread.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

Chas

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »

I used a Carson 3 speed fan switch. My blower is a 4 speed but I used the 3 lowest speeds... high was too fast.  The red wire was low speed, Black was high, blue was either med-high or med-low, and the other med-speed wire was either yellow or orange (I can't recall). I used a Dayton line voltage thermostat so I didn't have to mess with the whole low voltage thing. Seems to work great other than I think the line voltage thermostat isn't as sensative and you get a little more temperature swing.
Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Middle of the mitten, Michigan

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »

Thanks! That looks like it would be the easiest way to wire it.  I have seen some digital line voltage thermostats that might work well.  I googled that part number that is on that sticker in the picture and pulled up the specs for that motor.  It is a 4 speed motor.  So if I decide not to use one of the speeds did you just put a wire nut on that wire and not connect it to anything?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

Chas

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »

Yes. And the white wire was the neutral. Another thing that I was shown was that I needed to restrict the opening into the fan because the squirrel cage will try to catch to much air and cause the motor to drag. I used a piece of galvinized tin with either a 3" or 4" hole in it. As you put the tin closer to the opening you can actually hear the fan speed up.
Dolmar 035
Stihl 026
Stihl 260
Speeco 25 ton splitter
John Deere 4720
Polaris Ranger 800

Middle of the mitten, Michigan