Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I'm seeing snow melting above my lines.  (Read 14963 times)

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: I'm seeing snow melting above my lines.
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 07:04:06 AM »

we have had a bunch of rain in the past few days and now freezing temps again..the ground is wet. the next little skiff of snow should tell you (anyone) if you have any heat loss issues with your underground lines. the earth around your lines will be about as moist as will ever be and if we get a skiff of snow and you see it melting i would wager a guess you have more heat loss than you should think is "normal" this is about as good of test you can get (other than measuring temps with an accurate tool and measuring the same way at each end
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

Here is a pic of my pipe

[attachment deleted by admin]
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2013, 11:47:57 AM »

Johnny, what kinda pump are you running?  That is some bad melt, ive only seen manufactured line do that if it were soaked. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »

I get that with my line too.  My line crosses my driveway.  As a result I get a shallow trench as the ground over the pipe sits lower and the ground on either side heaves due to frost.  I didn't think it was a problem the first year as the ground was still soft due to burying the pipes just before winter.  Very little time to pack it in.  But I see it every year.  I'm using 1" CB Thermopex.  Both ends are high and dry.  Not to say that the line isn't exposed to water underground, I have a feeling it is but there was not much I could do about it.  Line is only about 2 to 2 1/2' deep. 
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »

I get that with my line too.  My line crosses my driveway.  As a result I get a shallow trench as the ground over the pipe sits lower and the ground on either side heaves due to frost.  I didn't think it was a problem the first year as the ground was still soft due to burying the pipes just before winter.  Very little time to pack it in.  But I see it every year.  I'm using 1" CB Thermopex.  Both ends are high and dry.  Not to say that the line isn't exposed to water underground, I have a feeling it is but there was not much I could do about it.  Line is only about 2 to 2 1/2' deep.
i  don't know downeast...some dealers claim that snow will not melt on an above ground (temporary) installation? 
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »

Johnny, what kinda pump are you running?  That is some bad melt, ive only seen manufactured line do that if it were soaked.

I meant line sheww
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 10:01:28 PM »

i  don't know downeast...some dealers claim that snow will not melt on an above ground (temporary) installation?

Willie, next time we get a snow and I'm home I'll take a pic of a section of line where it goes into my house,
It's exposed and this morning it had 3" of snow on it,
I would go out and take pics now but were away on a small trip, it's plain old 3 wrap

Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 05:58:28 AM »

Scott i don't doubt that is true..i was just meaning to get the point across that if  this happens and he is melting snow with his undergorund pipes then it would appear his lines have been compromised some what
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:07:51 AM by willieG »
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »

I think the outside temp and mosture level of the ground are a few big factors I don, t see any melting when temps are in the teens but once it gets around near melting point 30-32ish  is when I get the line.
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]