Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Do People Really Burn Straight Trash in Boilers?  (Read 19753 times)

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
Re: Do People Really Burn Straight Trash in Boilers?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »

Sim are those laws state by state, or federal and are industrial applications included in that?    Curious because I know of a few grocery stores that burn all their pallets, cardboard and paper in large OWB's that also heat the store, along with sawmills that burn waste to heat the mills, and some manufacturing facilities that burn all their waste to both get rid of it and to heat the offices and workplace as well.       

How DARE those businesses not used government controlled and taxed fuel sources to heat with!  How dare they not recycle through government approved facilities!
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2015, 06:49:19 AM »

Sim are those laws state by state, or federal and are industrial applications included in that?    Curious because I know of a few grocery stores that burn all their pallets, cardboard and paper in large OWB's that also heat the store, along with sawmills that burn waste to heat the mills, and some manufacturing facilities that burn all their waste to both get rid of it and to heat the offices and workplace as well.       

How DARE those businesses not used government controlled and taxed fuel sources to heat with!  How dare they not recycle through government approved facilities!

:post:

Right on, just like Obamacare isn't about Healthcare the new EPA law isn't about clean air, they are both about control and revenue. Very hard to tax the firewood somebody cuts off their own property.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2015, 07:04:37 AM »

Sounds like the construction debris law was to target PT woods. The old stuff contained arsenic and the new stuff has things in it that are likely not much better.  The sites you reference are not really burning construction waste and are probably OK.  Having worked on a unit that used to burn 30 tons of wood waste per hour, the regulating authorities didn't really target what went into it, but they were pretty anal as to what came out of it.  Hopefully, on some level, anyone downstream of that thing appreciated that.
Muskoka, Ont

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2015, 07:08:03 AM »

:post:
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »

No matter what style burner you have we need to all stick together. Once they take something it keeps getting worse. OWB only make up 1% of heating devices in the US. Just burn in them like your supposed to.
Michael West
Central Ohio

Sluggo

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: 20,000e
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 07:59:07 PM »

I might make enemies here but I know the silent majority are with me.  I will burn whatever the hell I want,whenever the hell I want. 
Stihl 441
Stihl 660
Stihl 029 Farm Boss
Bobcat T190
Grapple
Farmi 501 Winch
2015 3500 Crew Cab HIGH COUNTRY Duramax

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 08:05:09 PM »

I was going to add that to my post but I didn't want to make some mad. I don't think the government should tell us what we can burn. I don't like to burn anything but wood coal and cardboard but I know a lot of people who burn tires, railroad ties, plastic, green wood. To each his own...
Michael West
Central Ohio

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 10:51:08 PM »

I might make enemies here but I know the silent majority are with me.  I will burn whatever the hell I want,whenever the hell I want.

Are you saying if you want to burn a tire or railroad ties you will?
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 11:59:50 PM »

I can tell you the real answer.  You get home 5 hours later then you hoped from work, it has been a cold nasty day.  You walk up to your boiler and the water reads 95 degrees, the temps are suppose to drop even further during the night.  You go inside and the stat is reading 55.  Fear strikes!  I have only green wood and my coal bed is almost nothing.  Plan A: Freeze to death, Plan B: feed the boiler with whatever burns.  Let me ask you.... Would you let your house freeze or load what you have available to help keep your house warm?
   I read all day long how I have 3 chain saws, dump truck, skid steer, and a big old tractor.  Kudos to you... you either have a farm or running a tree service.  Most folks that have bought a boiler are relaying on wood delivery, they have no truck or trailer just the promise the wood boiler will deliver the heat.  Yes the wood boiler delivers the heat they wanted but at large cost of huge wood deliveries frequently.  No one told them 12 cords a year.  Sorry, your snowed in can't get the wood delivered.  I bet the average folk are out snow blowing their yards in the first year to get more wood.  Let me say this... why wouldn't  the average boiler owner burn whatever he gets his hands on.  Bottom line most companies lie and sugar coat the boiler experience.  Whoops you slept too long the wood bridged your house is cold...Hell all I have is motor oil and some logs.... You get my point its a learning experience.  I was told by my installer two years ago he was installing boilers for rich renter homes.  I asked him its a large task to feed these boilers, the learning curve along with the time to fill them, he laughed his way out my door.  First year for most delivery boiler owners I can tell you is a nightmare.  You get lied to about wood delivery size.  And we criticize the crap being burned!  Not everyone comes from a wood burning background

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 05:38:03 AM »

You raise some very good points intensedrive, however several of the things you mention comes down to a lack of research. It doesn't matter what I buy I do the research, do a google search, search the records of the BBB, then find a forum much like this one to see what other peoples experiences are, I may even take a 2-4 hour drive to see what I'm looking at actually in use.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

straincm

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 05:41:15 AM »

Most folks that have bought a boiler are relaying on wood delivery, they have no truck or trailer just the promise the wood boiler will deliver the heat. 

Why would you buy a boiler to then go buy wood? Everyone I know who owns a boiler cuts their own wood. Otherwise how would you save any money? Your entire argument here to burn whatever you want has no reasoning behind it. Burning "trash", tires etc. is exactly why people have a bad view of our heat source. I agree non-treated lumber is not trash. Please be responsible with your burning.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 05:52:24 AM »

I spend a good part of the winter hauling hay to the hay auctions, you can also buy pickup loads of firewood at the auctions. The one auction has started to collect sales tax on firewood as the state of Indiana now considers it a fuel just like gas, diesel or fuel oil. So yah, the new regs have nothing to do with revenue generation, of course Indiana jumped on the gasser bandwagon awhile ago. Don't matter if you buy the new gasser out of state, you still technically owe sales tax on it and are supposed to voluntarily report it and pay the sales tax with you Indiana tax return.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 06:07:07 AM »

10-12 grand for boiler and 300 a cord for 12 cords = I'm burning propane.
Electric is a different story, of course.[might be worth it]
Very little savings if yer buying wood
Plus the aggravation of getting your wife outta bed to load it at 5 am.
My water is this,, my heat loss is that,,etc etc
I may be missing some points though.

I know I would not of done it without free wood .
2500 $ for propane @80 c ltre or 300$ a cord for 6/7 cords = measly $400 savings [and wife gets to sleep in]

And... if you think about it, the gov is getting coin on you cutting /burning, your own wood, through property taxes...
And it's somehow factored in on bought wood ,,[,just hidden]
 kk
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:52:15 AM by kommandokenny »
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 07:01:14 AM »

And... if you think about it, the gov is getting coin on you cutting /burning, your own wood, through property taxes...

Not sure if this is an Indiana thing or is federal but you can get your woodlands signed up as a classified forest, drops your property tax on those wooded acres down to about a dollar an acre. But...with that classified forest comes a few restrictions, mainly you can't pasture cattle in the woods, my cows prefer to be in the woods over the barn anytime, have actually had a few calves born early in some horrible weather but they did just fine in the woods. We may see about getting the 7 acre and 19 acre woods signed up first then think about it some more before signing up the last 25 acres that the cows have.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:02:53 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

kommandokenny

• OWF Brand: woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
  • smokem if ya gottem NEAR NORTH ONTARIO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 07:42:28 AM »

Yes there's always ways around stuff.

You can right off you property taxes also .in some cases ..
For me, I don't mind paying property taxes for the  firewood and enjoyment, privacy, I get out of the woods.
PARRY SOUND ONTARIO
2012 RAPTOR
NORTON COMMANDO
H.D. ROAD KING
Sthil 026,038
Echo CS 310 [grandaughters]
SWISHER 22 TON
CANAM 850 tracked
GREAT DANE X 3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6